Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Can you carry/wheel your own luggage aboard? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/can-you-carry-wheel-your-own-luggage-aboard-462490/)

gail Jul 26th, 2004 08:10 AM

Can you carry/wheel your own luggage aboard?

Sailing NCL Majesty to Bermuda in 2 weeks. Wondering why we have to check luggage, wait for room delivery and reverse process on return to Boston. We are light packers, have 2 teenagers with us. If we are willing to wait while they x-ray, bomb sniff, etc. - will they let us just treat all our luggage as carry-ons and take it to our cabins ourselves? Thanks.

Hold Jul 26th, 2004 09:43 AM

People carry on luggage all the time, but usually it's similar to what you'd see as carry on for an airlines trip.

Don't think I've ever seen anyone take all their luggage on this way, so if its a short trip to Bermuda.... it should work.

Might want to look in your cruise brochure or documents packet that the lines sends you to see if there are any such restrictions.

I would imagine the lines wouldn't like it if everyone did it since it would bring check in to almost a stand still....

If anyone knows for sure, I'd be interested in hearing more about this topic too. :)

PumpkinEater Jul 26th, 2004 10:29 AM

Caution: if the bags don't fit thru the scanner (and some are smaller than the airline terminals), you won't be allowed.

Peter

simpsonc510 Jul 26th, 2004 11:28 AM

Gail,
I would agree with others that carrying your bags ONTO the ship is probably not an option for you. You will just have to do like everyone else and wait until bags appear at your door to get unpacked. But if you want your swimsuit or something, take it with you in a little carry on tote of some kind. Others have certainly done this before.

As to leaving the ship, I've always checked my bags at the door the night before disembarking and not tried to carry them with me. But the last couple of cruises I've done, I've seen people taking their bags with them when they disembark rather than finding them at the dock baggage claim area. This is a possibility for you now, I'm quite certain.

I've sailed on the Majesty twice and had a wonderful time! Bermuda is my favorite port, and I've seen a number of ports including the Mediterranean, Alaska, the Caribbean (eastern/westers) and the west coast of Mexico!

Have a great time!

gail Jul 26th, 2004 11:55 AM

We carried our bags on 3-night RCCL cruise - but obviously they were smaller than for a week. Can't imagine why they wouldn't let us carry them OFF - since our car will be parked at the pier, it just seems easier than parking them outside cabin at night.

Can understand why we might not be able to carry them ON as far as security is concerned - just have some concern - just like with airline luggage - that we will not see them again. Impatience to get at my clothing is not a concern - just wanted to avoid the type of issues with airline luggage such as separating valuables, medication into carry-on bag and not checked luggage.

Rosemary1 Jul 26th, 2004 12:27 PM

Author: gail
Date: 07/26/2004, 12:10 pm
Message: Sailing NCL Majesty to Bermuda in 2 weeks. Wondering why we have to check luggage, wait for room delivery and reverse process on return to Boston. We are light packers, have 2 teenagers with us. If we are willing to wait while they x-ray, bomb sniff, etc. - will they let us just treat all our luggage as carry-ons and take it to our cabins ourselves? Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Hold
Date: 07/26/2004, 01:43 pm
Message: People carry on luggage all the time, but usually it's similar to what you'd see as carry on for an airlines trip.

Don't think I've ever seen anyone take all their luggage on this way, so if its a short trip to Bermuda.... it should work.

Might want to look in your cruise brochure or documents packet that the lines sends you to see if there are any such restrictions.

I would imagine the lines wouldn't like it if everyone did it since it would bring check in to almost a stand still....

If anyone knows for sure, I'd be interested in hearing more about this topic too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: PumpkinEater
Date: 07/26/2004, 02:29 pm
Message: Caution: if the bags don't fit thru the scanner (and some are smaller than the airline terminals), you won't be allowed.

Peter

Aren't you being a bit of an "alarmist" here Peter? I've never ever heard of this happening to anyone.