Notices

Camera and binoculars

May 23rd, 2015, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Camera and binoculars

I normally use Casio Exilim camera (f=6.3-18.9mm 1:2.8-5.3 and 12.1 megapixels), and wonder whether that would be sufficient for Alaska cruise pictures.
Also, what kind of binoculars (specifications/numbers for selection) should I buy or, can one rent them on the ship just for the period of the voyage?
May 24th, 2015, 03:45 AM

I think you will want a much longer lens most of the time. A mirrorless SLR will provide you much more flexibility with but two lenses, a wide to medium and a telephoto. An Olympus OMD would be my choice with an 18-40 (effectively 36-80) and a 70-150 (140-300). The later models provide some water resistance, always a useful feature in Alaska.

Because you will need to be active with Binoculars, I would not go over 8 power. The nature company offers a nice set that is completely waterproof. But, unless you have a need other than the cruise, I think renting them locally would be your best course.

You can check with the cruise company, but I think it unlikely it would have sufficient binoculars, if any, to meet demand.
May 24th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Jeff801, Thank you. I confess I do not understand lenses, megapixels, and magnification, but I have been impressed by the quality of pictures seen on the web taken using GoPro cameras. I realize that most of those are "action" /sports shots, but the quality is great! How do I understand the trade-offs between say your recommendation and GoPro? Thank you!
May 25th, 2015, 02:58 AM

The best recommendation I've seen for a GoPro is below.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/24/tr...and/index.html

Seriously, I am not aware of the lens length capabilities of a GoPro and can't make any comparisons. My experience in Alaska suggests you will want a short lens for some of the sea life and within the rain forests, and a long lens for much of the wildlife and birdlife.

Search this Thread