Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Cabin choice for Alaska cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/cabin-choice-for-alaska-cruise-733470/)

edward Sep 1st, 2007 05:26 PM

Cabin choice for Alaska cruise

I'm currently checking out Holland America for an Alaskan cruise. I've looked at the large inside cabins and the outside cabins. Have you stayed in either and which is best? Is it worth the extra money for the outside cabin? Thanks for your input.

pmax Sep 1st, 2007 05:38 PM

We just got back from a HAL inside passage 7 day cruise. I recommend booking an outside cabin with a verandah. We spent alot of time on the verandah watching the beautiful scenery. It's very private and a nice refuge from the crowds on the deck.

kfusto Sep 2nd, 2007 06:49 AM

I would suggest a balcony for Alaska if you can swing it, as it is ideal to have your own private vantage point for the stunning scenery.

Look into a verandah guarantee as HAL often has very good deals on this option.

BudgetQueen Sep 3rd, 2007 05:33 AM

There are NO crowds on the decks in Alaska outside of the glacier sailings.

You need to determine, what is your priority?? If booking an outside cabin or balcony, is going to cut into your touring budget, then that may not be the best use of the funds?? If the money can be spent, certainly everyone greatly enjoys a balcony.

For me "Volume" travel is what is important- I'm on 6 cruises this year- 2 to Alaska, 2 to Hawaii, 1 Bermuda and a 2 week cruise to New Zealand, plus 2- week trips.

So cheap inside cabins are my priority. :)

Debi Sep 4th, 2007 09:52 AM

While I haven't sailed on Holland America, I have sailed on Crystal, Princess and Celebrity. We were in Alaska in August on Celebrity - and it was fabulous sitting on our veranda and watching the gorgeous scenary go by. There is indeed lots of open deck for seeing the scenary, but if it's within your budget, I would definitely get a veranda, or at least the outside cabin with a view. Scenary is too good to miss .....

LN Sep 4th, 2007 01:51 PM

I'm taking the advice of good friends who say "for Alaska you'll love having a balcony". We've had ocean view and an inside and didn't really spend a lot of time in the cabin.

I did really shop though and got a great price on a balcony and a couple upgrades which made it pretty good.

Let you know after we get back the end of September.

FainaAgain Sep 5th, 2007 10:18 AM

Sorry, Edward, I will join your thread with my question (and maybe you can benefit as well!)

Which side is better if I'll have a window or balcony? Alaskan cruise. Thinking of June-July.

marilee12 Sep 22nd, 2007 09:28 PM

I think the best position is directily at the back of the ship. We just returned from a cruise to Alaska and having that position was perfect as we got great views of the cities when we left them (sometimes came in in the early morning and wouldn't have seen the view we had) as well, we saw more sea life was we saw on each side and were able to see lots of whales, groups of Orca's from either side, etc.