Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   bunk bed cabins (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/bunk-bed-cabins-970390/)

brickyann Mar 13th, 2013 06:20 PM

bunk bed cabins

I've supposedly won a free cruise for 2, but the cabin has 2 bunk beds. I can't even find a ship with that configuration. The agent said the room is 10 x 10 and at the very bottom of the ship and I'd hate it. Anyone ever had a cabin like this?

BarbAnn Mar 13th, 2013 08:30 PM

I have, but that was many years ago on a ship that is no longer in service. Most mass market cruise ships no longer have that type of cabin. Which cruise line (and ship) is the cruise on? Sounds like she/he wants to upsell the cabin type.

brickyann Mar 13th, 2013 09:12 PM

That's what I think, that those rooms aren't really available and they want me to pay to upgrade.

Eschew Mar 13th, 2013 09:55 PM

I think you might be a potential victim of the "free cruise scam".

If you "won" the cruise through an unsolicited phone call, more than likely, it is a scam. If the length of the cruise is less tna 3 days, the probability just gone up.

Don't give them any creidt card information or payment of any sort. And if they are being pushy on the upsell .... well you get the idea.

First question to ask yourself is the travel agent legit? Thry may look or sound legit, but are they?

Second question is the cruise line legit? There are some "legit" discount cruise line that operates a converted ferry and cram people in them.

There is also a new scam circulating that use "free cruise" as a hook. The cruise is free and all you pay is port charges. Once you are on board, they then have people bombard you on the virtue of time share and why you should buy one. You are a prisoner while you are on board as you have no escape.

BarbAnn Mar 14th, 2013 10:54 AM

Eschew may be right. I have "won" such a cruise. I recognized it for what it was and told them I had no interest in their "services". I know they do a lot of these on the east coast, but have not heard of any on the Mexican Riviera.

1965 Mar 14th, 2013 12:30 PM

I think your free cruise is a scam. But to answer your question re. the bunk beds-We had what is called upper/lower berth w/portholes on Carnival Magic last month. It was an excellent value, and quite comfy. Our steward actually made the couch into a twin bed rather than pull down the upper berth.You can have either configuration.I felt like we had more floor space than in a regular inside cabin, which we usually book. Not all Carnival ships have them, but some do, and now that I know how comfortable and affordable they are, that's what I'll book from now on when available.

BarbAnn Mar 14th, 2013 05:38 PM

I stand corrected. Carnival does indeed have some upper/lower cabins. It was actually Carnival that I cruised on when I had the upper/lower cabin. I did not like it at all. It was like being in a closet all the time. Did not know if it was day or night. That was the one and only time I have had an inside cabin. Now I feel like I'm being downgraded if we get an ocean view, not a balcony cabin. That being said, my brother only books inside cabins. He is not claustrophobic and likes to save money.

fmpden Apr 1st, 2013 07:24 AM

That is generally our cabin of choice. We try for the cheapest cabin at the lowest level of the ship in the middle (most stable). For us the cabin is only a place to change and sleep. On the other hand we have good friends who will not travel with less than a balcony. They prefer to have meals in their room and don't like socializing in the dining room with strangers. Personal preference.