Reload this Page >

Bringing Soda/Alcohol On Ship

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 03:29 PM
Ruth

Various posts imply that we willl have no problem carrying soda cans and our own Vodka onto the ship. <BR>My question is whether to put the alcohol in our carry on luggage or our large bags. <BR> <BR>We are spending night prior to cruise in Ft. Lauderdale and shuttling to the port. We will be dropping our luggage off at the pier. <BR> <BR>Do they hand inspect purses and small bags before embarking the ship? <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 04:53 AM
Sal

You did not say which line you were on. Each has it's own set of rules. Generally, anything you carry on will be xrayed as you enter the terminal for the ship just like in an airport. I've seen (Carnival) take away alcohol and cases of pop that people tried to carry on. <BR>What I've done is put liquor in with my suitcase (get the kind in PLASTIC bottles) and leave it at the dock, they have far too many pieces of luggage to check and I've done it at least a dozen times without a problem. Keep in mind that the worst that will happen is they will take the liquor and give it back to you when you get off the ship.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 10:45 AM
Ruth

Thanks Sal, <BR> <BR>We are going on the Sea Princess. Does anyone know how to transport their own 'cocktail material' on this particular line? <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 05:10 AM
becky

We have cruised with rccl several times and have always brought liquor to our cabin - we did buy it at a shop on the ship.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 02:26 PM
Linda

There is a store on the RCCL pier, in San Juan. We carried on pop, wine and beer, in the open. It probably depends on the ship. I can see where Carnival would discourage it. The cruise lines probably make a lot of money selling alchohol.

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 06:32 AM
Louise

We just returned from a cruise on the Grand Princess. We took liquor and soda in our carry on bags with no problem. A lot of other folks got on the ship early then went back off and bought what they wanted and brought it back on ship with no problem either. We bought more at the 2nd port and brought it back again with no problem.

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 10:08 AM
georgeb

Ruth, Just carry the Vodka on in your carry on's. We took the Sea Princess in April and they encouraged us to go get our own Pepsi's and sodas. The kids walked on carring a 24 pack cube each. The ground crew even told us where to go to get the soda's. We were part of a group and everyone had at least two bottles of hard liquor or wine in their bags.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 05:06 PM
robert

we always carry 2 12 cubes of soda on all our RCCL ships. We never were stopped or even questioned...this includes our 3 week asia cruise on the legend where we picked up soda (and liquor)at several asian ports.

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 03:25 AM
Theresa

Princess doesn't care if you bring on beverages. Carnival on the other hand is another story.

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 05:39 AM
joan

How about Holland America? Alaska?

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 05:26 PM
jean

we were on the volendam HAL) in Feb. and saw people carrying CASES of wine, beer and pop on board---no problem and here was me with my bottle hidden in my suitcase, LOL I`ll know what to do next time!!! jean

Old Nov 20th, 2000, 12:46 PM
julie

Carnival is always a problem. I use large water bottles to carry our gin and vodka. Otherwise, we pack an extra suitcase with beverages. We use a duffle bag for soft clothes, and then we fold it up to put in hard case. I really think Carnival is the only one like this.

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Anne

Has anyone had a problem with bringing beer and soda on the Norweigen Lines?

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 04:29 PM
sue

Anyone know about Celebrity's policy on bringing alcohol and pop on board? We are going to be on the Horizon starting out in Aruba

Old Dec 25th, 2000, 07:53 AM
Mikew

Just returned from a trip on Carnival Ecstacy. We packed a number of things with our checked baggage after reading advice from this column: <BR>1) a plastic bottle of vodka <BR>2) a plastic bottle of mixer <BR>3) powdered drink mix for the kids (mix with water to make punch) <BR>4) a pitcher to keep the kids drinks in <BR>5) several plastic cups (we didn't have ANY cups in our cabin!) It worked great- we kept it out and our cabin steward didn't say anything.

Old Dec 25th, 2000, 06:41 PM
bruce

Just got back from San Juan aboard RCL's Grandeur of the Sea. The cruise terminal has a liquor/soda store in it. After you have checked in and gone on to the ship you can go back to the store in the terminal and you can buy all you want and take it right onboard. We don't drink booze (bad drug interactions) but took two 1/2 cases of pop aboard. $.50 a can is a whole lot better than $1.50, especially times 24.