Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Booze in the bag. (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/booze-in-the-bag-146000/)

big dog Jan 23rd, 2002 04:08 PM

Booze in the bag.

Has anyone out there in fodorland packed their own private stock of booze in their suitcase for their own enjoyment or does security go through them like carryons?Any tips or suggestions?

Vic Jan 23rd, 2002 04:53 PM

With security tightened up, I guess the chances of finding a bottle are getting much higher.<BR><BR>This prohibition against bottles is relatively new. It seems like an intrusion on the passengers prorogatives. It's obviously explotive -- drink more of their liquor. We sailed on Crystal last year and there was no prohibition. Many lines have warnings not to take your drink outside your room. Crystal had no such warning.<BR><BR>Which lines don't allow you to BYOB.

Paul Therault Jan 23rd, 2002 10:10 PM

<BR>All the upscale lines (expensive lines). They do not care if they lose a few bucks on liquor sales.<BR><BR>Paul

Vic Jan 24th, 2002 02:40 AM

How does that work on ships that have this prohibition.<BR><BR>I like to take a nip before dinner in our cabin. It's not the cost but just sitting on the balcony enjoying a drink. Going through room service everytime you want a drink is preposterous.

love Jan 24th, 2002 12:43 PM

I know that red wine can be poured in a coke bottle and white in 7-UP.

Marilyn Balthasar Jan 24th, 2002 04:46 PM

Does Windstar frown on BYOB? Princess was fine last summer.

ginny Jan 24th, 2002 04:57 PM

Anyone know about NCL?

primrose Jan 28th, 2002 02:34 PM

Marilyn,<BR><BR>We just got back from a cruise on Windspirit. No problem at all with your own bottle in your cabin, they provide fresh ice twice a day in an insulated ice bucket. But they do have signs discreetly posted on the deck where the pool and bar are asking that you not BYOB. Fair enough...

Ana Jan 28th, 2002 04:23 PM

Does anyone know how Celebrity is with it?

Jackie Jan 29th, 2002 08:40 AM

Hi,<BR>A group of us (early 50's) sailed on Celebrity Galexy out of PR 2 years ago and had no problem, we are sailing this Sat. on the Century and are wondering the same thing.<BR>Any adult cruisers out there that have sailed on Centure out of Ft. Lauderdale since 9/11?

Becca Jan 29th, 2002 09:56 AM

We sailed on RCCL's Voyager of the Seas on Sept. 15th. We wrapped up the bottles in towels and stuffed them in our suitcase. We didn't have any problems. None of our luggage was searched, and I saw no one's luggage being searched.

Paul Therault Jan 29th, 2002 11:17 PM

<BR>All travel agents have the information you are looking for. If you do not have a travel agent you can attempt to find out from the cruise line. The expensive cruise lines will let you get away with bringing liquor on board.<BR><BR>To be safe ..... in your document package that you get from the cruise line there is a gift brochure. You can simply order from the brochure and have the wine (some lines have liquor) delivered to your cabin. <BR><BR>Paul

Paul Therault Jan 29th, 2002 11:19 PM

<BR>All travel agents have the information you are looking for. If you do not have a travel agent you can attempt to find out from the cruise line. The expensive cruise lines will let you get away with bringing liquor on board.<BR><BR>To be safe ..... in your document package that you get from the cruise line there is a gift brochure. You can simply order from the brochure and have the wine (some lines have liquor) delivered to your cabin. <BR><BR>Paul

Dee Ann Feb 8th, 2002 09:08 AM

We have cruised twice on carnival and brought our own both times. Not sure how they are after 9/11 but had no problems before then.

Paul Therault Feb 8th, 2002 11:29 PM

<BR>Since 9/11 an awful lot of liquor is being taken away from passengers. All cruise lines.<BR><BR>Paul

judy Feb 13th, 2002 04:00 AM

We have always brought booze on board in our luggage. Just came back from a cruise (the end of Jan.) on NCL and had no problem. We brought in a wine bottle, rum, and 2 12 packs of coke.

Jackie Feb 13th, 2002 06:29 AM

Just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Celebrity Century. We also enjoy a drink before diner or a nightcap before bed. We packed 2 bottles in our suitcase wrapped in bubble pack and had no problem. You can not hand carry alcohol on the ship, if you purchase it at one of the Islands they check it when you return to the ship and delivery it your cabin the night before you disembark. <BR>Celebrity takes your picture for ID when your arrive and your room pass key ID's you when leaving or returning to the ship, you also pass throug the same security every time you return to the ship as you do at the airports. It was very organized. The only time leaving the ship was extremely long was when we were tendered into Grand Cayman otherwise no problems.

Tequila Feb 13th, 2002 09:26 AM

To Paul:<BR><BR>First you say it is no problem for booze on the upscale lines. Then you say since 9/11, "an awful lot of liquor is being taken away from passengers on all lines"<BR><BR>So , which is it?<BR><BR>P.S. Do you cruise that often?<BR><BR>It seems you spend a lot of your time hanging around this forum.

Paul Therault Feb 13th, 2002 10:54 PM

<BR>You can state your opinion without being nasty. <BR><BR>I have cruised 72 ships. I would never bring liquor on board and take the chance of it being taken away and then I would have to carry it back home. I find out from the line what their policy is first .... common sense. <BR><BR>I know the travel industry and the last news brief concerning liquor is that the majority of it is being held. I was told by an associate of mine that the liquor room on the Voyager looked like a well stocked bar.<BR><BR>You all could do what you like. No skin off my nose. I am just stating printed facts. I am only here for consumer awareness.<BR><BR>Paul

M. Henderson Feb 15th, 2002 09:10 AM

I cruise Seabourn twice a year. All liquor is free!! Spirits, wine, and 24 hr. room service for Champagne!! It's<BR>great!!!