Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Booking (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/booking-641043/)

mrsd2fan Aug 22nd, 2006 08:49 AM

Booking

Hi-
I'm shopping around for the best price for a cruise. I noticed that transfers to and from the airport are included if you book through RCCI website, but I can't tell if they are included on outside websites ie: travelocity

BudgetQueen Aug 22nd, 2006 09:51 AM

No transfers are not included unless specifically noted. But most often its an easy cab ride, so book where the pricing is best and add in the transfers yourself if needed.

Wednesday Aug 22nd, 2006 09:53 AM

..if you book air with the cruise line (they choose the times closer to travel for you), they will in most cases (depending on cruise line and destination) include the transfers automatically. If you book the cruise and air separately (even if you use Travelocity for both)then you will need to call the cruise line, purchase transfers and give them your flight information...have fun !

triathlete Aug 22nd, 2006 10:30 AM

Before you book, try http://www.CruiseCompete.com

You select your sailing, then receive quotes from multiple agencies. While prices don't tend to vary on RCL these days, the amenities offered can vary a lot. You may be able to get a significant amount of money in onboard credit, and/or free insurance.

As the service is free and anonymous with no obligation to buy, no reason not to give it a try.

Good luck.

Curt Aug 22nd, 2006 01:09 PM

Find a local travel agent where you live and let him/her help you. You will not save any money by booking directly with the lines and the agent may have access to some special deals only available to agents, such as ship board credits, discounted or free transfers, etc. The agent (assuming he/she is good) will also be able to help you select a ship/line that best fits your interests, age, etc. People seem to think they will get a cheaper price by avoiding agents - not true for cruise or for most resort/AI packages. Almost always get either a better price with agent or at least some "perks" thrown in.

Have fun

123Go Aug 25th, 2006 04:04 AM

I have to agree with Curt. Just yesterday a friend who always thinks the only good deals to be found are what he spends hours to find on the internet. He called my friend who is planning a cruise this fall and suggested two sites to look at with good prices. My friend checked them both out and found what she thought was a great price. She then called her regular travel agent. Bottom line was her TA found her a better deal than both the web sites, plus she felt much more secure using an agent she's used several times. She now realizes that just b/c it was found on line, doesn't mean it's the best deal. She booked with the TA yesterday and saved $.

triathlete Aug 25th, 2006 05:24 AM

Sure, the local TA with a 10% commission rate is going to give you a better deal than the high-volume cruise seller with the 16% commission rate plus annual bonuses for volume.

Absolutely, no question about it.

Doesn't hurt to ask locally, but shop around before you buy.

cruise_nut Sep 5th, 2006 03:36 PM

I have used them all, the internet and locals and the service and expertise is not where it should be so I started my own agency. Nothing beats experience. For the best trip find someone who has been where you want to go. They can tell you about the ports and give you a good deal as well. I agree with BudgetQueen. We never take the transfers. Crowded bus vs Cab. We always choose the cab. Email me with any questions.
Kelly

triathlete Sep 6th, 2006 10:51 AM

I agree with Kelly on the transfers. Unless the airport is a long way from the boat, there's no reason to wait for the bus to fill when you can just grab a cab.

kwren Sep 6th, 2006 02:28 PM

suerich - has this TA even gotten you a good deal on RCCL cruises?

I opened an account with cruisecompete.com today and have gotten some quotes back - all different. The problem is that most of the quotes do not tell you if the taxes and fees are included (although I can guess) or, more importantly, which categories are being quoted. It's difficult to compare without calling them. Several have offered shipboard credits, free insurance orbottle of wine. I was happy to see those! :)

katybird Sep 6th, 2006 04:35 PM

Kwren - I just received several quotes from cruisecompete as well. All my quotes stated taxes, etc were included.
I always request a certain catagory so that way I know what is being quoted. Even when I just asked for ocean view or balcony i was given the cat.quoted. I wonder why your quotes didn't give taxes or cat.???? Curious thing!
I would guess that if you don't request a cat. they quote you the lowest inside cabin.
Beware that some agencies charge you cancellation fee before final payment.

katybird Sep 6th, 2006 04:42 PM

edit..
NOW I always request a certain cat....