Best way to get to the boat

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Wife and I will be traveling on a mediterranean cruise and need to find the best way to get from our hotel in Rome to Civitavechia, which is where our ship departs. Any suggestions on most economical way?
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM

We are using this company for a tour while in port in Rome and they have been highly recommended. Check the website for rates to the cruise port from Rome
http://www.romecabs.com/transfers.html
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 03:50 PM

The most economical way is the train ($3) and about 45 mins to an hour 15 depending on which train you catch. Three or four trains an hour all day long. From the train station catch the one Euro shuttle or walk about 15 minutes to the port entrance and a free shuttle to your ship. It is a nice, flat walk along the sea shore. And you will see your ship from the train station -- cannot get lost. It is easy, we have done it four times.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 10:50 AM

We will be going on a cruise from Rome as well but will be coming into the FCO airport. Is there a train from the airport to the port? If so, do you have to change trains in Termini? If we can't do this by train, what is the best option to get from FCO to the port? The cruise line does transfers but they are very expensive and we would like to see if there is a cheaper alternative.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM

check with the cruise line and see what their "tranfer" charge is.. probably the most economical. They have you meet at several central points.. Or...check Cruise Critic to see if anybody going on your cruise is arranging transportation from Rome.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 09:29 PM

Go with Rome Cabs... ask for Stefano (the owner) himself to drive you.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 07:10 AM

I can almost guarantee that the ship's transfer fee will be the most expensive option especially if two or more are traveling together. It will be the most convenient -- door to door. If using the train, you will need to take the Leonard Express into Termini (about $15). When buying the ticket at the airport, buy the round trip ticket to Civit.... and ask the track number for Civit -- last summer it was 23 and 24. Exit LE and head for the track. Tracks 23 and 24 were kind of buried in the very far right hand corner of the station with your back to the station's main entrance. Validate your ticket in the yellow box, ask someone important looking about the next train to Civit and get on. (See my earlier posting) Cars are marked for 1st and 2nd class and 1st are closest to the station. Highly likely that you will have lots of company doing the same thing. We always use 2nd class and the one way cost should be less than $10. I thought it was three last summer but someone sent me note saying it was now $8.

If you make the same run going back, buying the RT ticket will save lots of time when you return to Civil... The tickets line at Civit is impossible when the ship docks especially if more than one ship in port. We have made this four time -- it is easy. An easy three hours.