Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Best shore excursions in Sitka, Juneau and Ketchikan?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 04:51 PM
susan

We're cruising in Alaska this summer for the first time and choose the best shore excursions in these cities. Please Help.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Susan,

As with all shore tours it is best to study the shore tour brochure on your own since everyone has their own lifestyle.

I could tell you that is you wish to visit both totem-pole sites in Ketchikan (one with a nature setting and one commercial - both are interesting in their own way) is to rent a car.

Paul

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:57 PM
Catherine

We were in Alaska last year and did the helicopter landing in Juneau which was great. I am afraid to fly but did this and was so glad. As far as Sitka I would just tour the town on my own. We spent 100.00 each for a wildlife cruise and only saw a sea otter and not even close.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:57 PM
Gail

We did the wildlife excursion in Juneau and saw many whales, sea otters, eagles. Ketchikan we did a combo catamaran and float plane through Misty Fjords. Kethikan is also good for shopping. The best things we did was a great flight through the glacier, choreographed to music. Unbelievable!!

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:18 PM
Lydia

I did not enjoy the totem pole park.
Thought it a waste of time and money.
But loved walking around Ketchikan and visiting Dolly's House and the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau. There, don't miss Wyatt Earp's pistol hanging on the wall that he checked and didn't pick it up when he left.
The other excursions are very expensive so it depends on your likes and how much you want to spend.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 09:54 PM
Paul Therault

As I said, to each his own. Best to do your own studying when it comes to shore tours.

Paul

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 09:12 AM
John

Wish I could here some too, as I will be on an Alaskan cruise this summer also.

As for Paul, I think Susan may have been looking for opinions, not the law as to which ones to go on. Don't take everything like such a jack ass. If Susan wants to hear people opinions aboput the best shore excursions in these ports don't keep telling her to study the brochure.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Paul Therault

Thanks for the input John, you are very well versed.

Paul

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 09:01 AM
tommy

I found the helicopter ride in Juneau to be the most memorable experience of my trip to Alaska.
I found Sitka small enough to manage on my own. I went for a walk through Sitka National Historical Park, which offers pleasant scenery and a nice collection of totem poles. Then visited the very worthy Raptor Rehabilitation Center. It provides up close viewing of these amazing but unlucky birds. A walk through town and quick tour of the onion domed church, and I felt like I had seen it all on the cheap.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 01:37 PM
neviboy

The helicopter in Juneau and the seaplane ride in Ketchikan, plus the train in Skagway were the most memorable
excursions.
neviboy