Search

What to pack South America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2016, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to pack South America

Hi -
my husband and I are sailing with NCL Sun in January 2017 - for our 30th wedding anniversary.
We are flying from UK via Paris to Santiago and returning from BA

My concern is our luggage restriction, the different weather conditions and the formal nights onboard the NCL. Any advice please?
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 10:47 AM

NCL doesn't have formal nights so no worries there.

I am not sure what kind of whether you are expecting. The usual rule of thumb is to dress in layers with something waterproof on the outside.

You can always bring less and use the ships laundry so you don't have to worry about excess baggage charges.

Congratulations on your anniversary!
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 10:58 AM

You don't need to worry about formal nights,Norwegian doesn't have them as far as I know. For the maindining rooms, "smart casual" for men means a collared shirt and closed toe shoes..You can ignore "Night Out" if you don't want to wear anything fancy, it isn't required. On this cruise which I think appeals to outdoor adventure types, you will not feel out of place in your normal casual clothing that you wear at home.There will also be people dressing up to go to the nightclubs, so it's up to you.

BTW if you don' want to sit at a large table, you can make a reservation for 2 people..even the same day you should be okay. Some people like the big tables where you meet others, but the whole meal tends to take longer. The main dining room(s) food I felt was better than the buffet. We made friends with the cruise lecturer and he accompanied us to the MDR for dinner the last week..that made him really happy since he didn't have to eat tilapia from the buffet.

In January Santiago and Buenos Aires/Montevideo can get pretty warm so I would have a few changes of clothing for that (or assume you'll buy t-shirts along the way). The rest of the itinerary would be cool "English" to possibly cold out on the decks when it's windy. Inside the ship is temperature controlled although sometimes you want a sweater or light jacket.
Old Nov 29th, 2016, 09:52 PM

It will be warm in SA, so you can pack light. I pack separates, easier to mix and match. I believe no self laundry rooms on board.. but you can send out clothes to be cleaned..
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 03:29 AM

I believe the Sun DOES have self laundry..call them if it matters.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 07:12 AM

NCL removed self-serve laundrettes from their ships a few years ago, so I doubt they remain on the Sun. I don't see them on the deck plans. The line does almost always offer a laundry special (sometimes twice on longer itineraries) where you can wash all you can stuff in a laundry bag for a reasonable price. So that's always going to be an option for you.
Old Dec 1st, 2016, 08:08 AM

It must not have happened on all ships a few years ago, because they still had a few on the Sun this past March when I sailed. The Sun was due for a refitting at the end of the South America season when it reached SF, but it turned out to be a shorter one so I don't know if the laundries remained. I had called because I was concerned that the floor plan still showed a laundry next to my room, but that one was gone, the agent called someone else in the Company and they told me there were still a few left but not on my floor. I personally went up to one to see if the irons were free but they weren't.