Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Best cruise to take when you've got to take the kids but don't want a kid cruise?

Search

Best cruise to take when you've got to take the kids but don't want a kid cruise?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the US forum a lot but this is my first time on the cruise forum...
My hubby and I are in dire need of a vacation but my 7 year old was recently diagnosed with diabetes and we're not at the point yet where we can leave her with others...so we thought a cruise might be an option. Does anyone have any opinions about specific lines or cruises that might be comfortable for families but not necessarily be overrun with kids? BTW I also have a 10 year old son. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 12:05 PM

We took our family on a Holland America cruise at Christmas last year...this was out of San Diego. The kids had a wonderful time with the kids programs. This year we're hoping to do a Celebrity Panama Canal cruise out of Galveston, this would also be at Christmas.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Desertduds, thanks for your reply. (We travel to AZ annually and you always have helpful input on the US board). We are east coast so I'll check into Holland America out of FL. Thanks...I'm thinking maybe of Thanksgiving time frame...
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 08:11 PM

We have done 2 family cruises with kids. If you are looking to not be overruned with other kids---pick a "offtime" season for kids. Our 1st cruise was an Alaska R/T inside passage during the 2nd week of Sept 2002. We had our 7 y/o son and the other relatives had kids ages 7 to 11. The boat only had 28 kids onboard. The kids staff stated that the prior weeks during summer over 300 kids were on board. This was NCL, a nice kids program. However, last November my wife and I took our son (now 8) on a the Island Princess 10-day roundtrip Panama Canal. We left port the week before Thanksgiving, returning Thanksgiving Day. Again, maybe 22 kids total onboard. Our son really enjoyed the Princess Kids Program. The pool was heated, and not salt water (When we cruised Carnival w/o child, it was salt water, so was the NCL ship). Bottom line, choose a date that is offseason for kids, and I would highly reccomend the Princess Cruise Program. Good luck,
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 05:24 AM

I would second the Princess recommendation. Princess actually limits the number of children on each cruise by age category and their children's programs are second to none.

Peter
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:43 AM

I agree w/ the Princess recommendations. As adults w/ no children my husband and I have always been impressed with how well Princess seems to entertain the kids, keeping them happy and busy and allowing adults (parents and non-parents) to enjoy their cruises. The larger Princess ships (Grand, Golden etc.) have an adult only pool (may allow kids for an hour or 2 a day as I recall) by the spa that is great for relaxing away from the fun at the main pool.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks everyone for great info. Princess sounds great. Is Thanksgiving considered off season? We're at the point with my son's travel team and school commitments that the kids really can't miss too much school but I'm willing to do Thanksgiving week. And do they do the standard E. or W. Carrib. cruises out of the FL ports? For all the traveling I've done in my life, I can't believe I've never cruised and am so green about how it all works!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

travel team meaning soccer that is...which should finish early Nov.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Princess will do an eastern and western out of Florida over Thanksgiving, but be prepared to pay a little more because everyone with kids has the same problem as you.

Peter