Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Best Caribbean Island for sight seeing (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/best-caribbean-island-for-sight-seeing-372916/)

py111777 Oct 31st, 2003 08:39 AM

Best Caribbean Island for sight seeing

Planning a caribbean cruise for the first time. Wanted to know you opinion on the top islands for sightseeing and what island would best to avoid because of poverty and cleaniness. Also which one has the best beach.

Budman Oct 31st, 2003 09:17 AM

I would make sure St Thomas is on your list. Great shopping, tax free booze (buy it and they will deliver it to the ship for you), Megan's Beach, Top of the Mountain for a banana daiqueri and sights of the surrounding area and islands, and catamaran to St. Johns for more beach fun. ((b))

Owen_ONeill Oct 31st, 2003 12:00 PM

If you're looking for antural beauty, consider renting a car on Cozumel for the day and driving around the back (east)side of the island - it's almost completely undeveloped but has a couple of restaurants and beach clubs/bars where you can hang out. The scenery is rugged and beautiful and there are beaches but best not to swim on that side as there are rip tides. The town itself (on the west sifde by the cruise ship pier) is small and not particularly impoverished - not terribly scenic but does have a nice public square and Corpus Christi church is gorgeous. The best aspect of Coz however, is the reef. I suggest booking a snorkel trip to the reef through a local provider (no need to pay extra for the ship's shore excursion). Don't miss the snorkleling (or diving) in Coz - it's the main attraction.

triathlete Oct 31st, 2003 12:04 PM

Wow--this is a hard one.

Antigua is very pretty--beautiful beaches.

Aruba has a desert-like climate and wonderful snorkelling.

Jamaica has some fabulous watercourses to hike--Mayfield Falls is beautiful and uncrowded (Dunns is not uncrowded).

Guadaloupe has the highest falls in the Caribbean--you hike through a rainforest to get there.

I could go on and on (actually, I already have!).

Cheers!

diann Nov 1st, 2003 04:54 AM

I enjoy most the Southern Caribbean route. I like this itinerary. Most all include St.Thomas. A trip to St. Johns is well worth it from St. Thomas or just go to Megans Bay. St. Lucia is a gorgeous lush island. Breathtaking scenery.Not great beaches though. Grenada, also the Spice Island and very interesting. The people are very friendly. Antigua great beaches, Barbados, great Beaches. Aruba also great beaches but desserty. I am not sure you will every be able to "avoid" all poverty. To miss that would be to miss the beauty of the Island. Unfortunately I don't think you could avoid this entirely. Just my opinion.

jacketwatch Nov 1st, 2003 05:52 AM

For natural beauty Martinique is high on my list. The island is volcanic in nature and IMHO these type of islands seem to have more lush vegetation than others. Martinique has a rain forest as well. You may have heard stories about how impolite the people are there and we did as well. Our experience there was far different. We had no problems ar all, though we were there only one day in port.