Best bang for the buck to Alaska ??

Old May 30th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best bang for the buck to Alaska ??

Whick cruise line offers best value for what you pay? We don't want the cheapest, we just want to get "value". Thanks in advance.
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

One other thing--we need to sail from and return to Vancouver.
Old May 30th, 2003, 11:54 PM

I'm not sure what you "value". For me, everything I sail Alaska for is outside the ship. I want the most inside passage sailing- smallest ship. I want long port times. There aren't any "bad" ships sailing so it depends on your expectations- all have declined in food- my opinion only but certainly more than enough range for most.
Old May 31st, 2003, 12:31 PM

I'd like to add to BudgetQueen's response. She usually recommends adding 5 days to see Alaska. That's not to say that 3 days is too short or that 7 days is too much. Alaska is so much more than what you can see from a ship. If your goal is the best "value," then why not make the most of your available time?

IMHO, a round trip to and from Vancouver is at best, half a trip. Of course, if that's all you can afford, then only you can decide if the limitations of that trip provides a reasonable return on your investment.

There's all sorts of ways to increase the value of your trip. All the cruise lines offer a value. Read the reviews on Cruisecritic.com and Cruisemates.com. Then see which line offers a deal for the time you want to travel.

Book your own excursions online...much cheaper and generally more value for your $$$.

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 04:30 AM

Just to clairify, my min. recommended interior time is 5 days independent touring and 7 on a cruise tour. I would never consider 3- no time for much of anything with the vast distances. It is a big expense in time and money to get all the way in/out of Anchorage. Make the most of it. I also do not agree that the round trip cruises are are not a good value, actually I strongly feel they are if you can't get interior. More of the sailing is similar than different between the 2 and I don't think an extra glacier viewing day at College Fjords is necessarily worth the far greater expense of in/out Anchorage. (some RCI ships don't even go to College Fjords- avoid them at all costs). Anyway- this is based on my experience and my intrusive contact with others .