Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Bermuda or Eastern Carribean (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/bermuda-or-eastern-carribean-608831/)

crystalnpat Apr 19th, 2006 04:47 AM

Bermuda or Eastern Carribean

We are looking to take our first cruise in August or September. We want it to be very relaxing and do not want to feel rushed. There's a very good chance that I will be a few months pregnant by then. We are also on somewhat of a budget. Which island would you recommend?

Thanks.

Suerich68 Apr 19th, 2006 07:46 AM

I don't know which lines are cruising to the Caribbean in August/September, but keep in mind that period is during the hurricane season. We cruised to the W. Caribbean last July 4 week & were unable to make Key West, with bad weather for the last couple of days due to a strong hurricane (can't remember his name!).

ParrotMom Apr 19th, 2006 08:03 AM

Bermuda would be much more relaxing...Yes, storm CAN be a problem in September...A safe time would be the last week in August or first two weeks inSeptember..

kaleighsgram Apr 19th, 2006 02:11 PM

We went on RCCL on Sept 10, 2005, out of Boston for ten days. Stops included Bermuda and some of the Caribbean Islands. The price went down considerably in August, and then went back up right before sail away. It was a wonderful trip, but we held our breath since the hurricane season had been so bad last year. We were lucky!! There was a hurricane the week before we sailed and another after we docked again in Boston. I'm not sure when it's safe to feel secure about the storms. I remember leaving on a cruise in 1996 in early July and Hurricane Bertha showed up. By the way, I'd pick Bermuda any day of the week.

diann Apr 19th, 2006 04:53 PM

I think I would choose the E.Caribbean if given a choice. I went to Bermuda once in Sept. The waters can be rough in one area that time of year. It was the only time I was ever sick on a cruise. Of course if there is a huricane, anywhere that can happen. I would go in August if at all possible.

gail Apr 20th, 2006 01:28 AM

I think decision comes down to do you like to explore one place in depth or stop at several. We liked Bermuda - could see island in relaxed way each day without worrying ship wuld go to next island without us. Could choose to sleep late without worrying about "wasting" limited time at one port. And very easy island to see on your own, without paying for ship excursions. Public bus system is safe, clean, inexpensive, easy to understand.

Another thought is that if you are hatching a family for future travel Bermuda is more expensive than other places - so a cruise for us was actually cheaper than air and hotel - lots of deals to other islands - you can go to them later.

traveller333 Apr 20th, 2006 10:17 AM

You could also consider waiting until late September or into October and take a cruise into New England & Canada to see the Fall foliage. It is both beautiful and relaxing.

luv2fly Apr 20th, 2006 01:44 PM

Have you looked into the Mexican Riviera? Not Cozumel and Cancun (hurricanes strike heavily there) but the Pacific side...Cabo San Lucas, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco?

simpsonc510 Apr 21st, 2006 09:55 AM

I've cruised the eastern Carib, the western Carib, the southern Carib and the Mex Riviera. I've also cruised to Bermuda. Bermuda wins hands down IMO.

Giovanna Apr 21st, 2006 10:14 AM

crystalnpat: I too would suggest Bermuda. As others have noted, it is a relaxing destination as you are docked usually in two locations there for several days each. We took ferries from the Dockyards to Hamilton, and also rode buses from place to place.

We too have cruised eastern, western and southern Caribbean, as well as Mexican Riviera. On our eastern Caribbean trips, I think of those we have visited, Grand Cayman is probably my least favorite island, and while Jamaica is very beautiful, we found the people unfriendly and even hostile in some cases. I do like Cozumel very much and we have gone there on other than a cruise.

That said, based on the circumstances you have given, I think Bermuda is your best bet. We sailed from New York City and loved sailing down the Hudson, past the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. We did have some rough seas the first day out (this was in October). Good luck with whatever you decide!

carolisle Apr 21st, 2006 12:06 PM

bermuda is the best!