Reload this Page >

Celebrity/Century Tips Wanted

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 04:18 PM
Debra

We plan to book 2/19 on the Century (W. Caribbean). Two kids 12 and 17....considering two cabins (inside) OR suite (more $ than 2 cabins) which would you recommend? Best Deck/location? Embarkation advice? Should we bring wine (we are somewhat picky)? Any other advice appreciated!

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 06:12 PM
Sandi

I am a TA who has some clients that book this ship every year. I guess I would go for 2 cabins, for privacy, but it is a personal choice, a suite is ver nice. You will have to book one child and one adult in each room, but sleep where you want. We did this years ago, booked the kids inside and us oceanview, then darn if we did not get upgrades to both oceanview, and the little darlings were on a different deck!!! Brand new ship and amazingly when mom called their room and they did not answer, they said "the phone did not work"., but honestly it did work out just fine. Some of my clients prefer the inside Cat 9 ( I think, and I am at home with no brochure, and believe me it gets confusing) cause they are high up near the top and suites. There is more motion up high, remember that. About bringing wine, they will not let you bring alcohol, but no one checks anything but hand luggage (got it!), but you would only be able to drink it in the cabin, or carry it in a cup on deck, it can not be taken into the dining room. I think if you are picky, you are choosing the right line,they are wonderful. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me...I do not usually have time to check this message board very often..I am just tired tonight, and home alone, so I am dinking around...

Old Oct 16th, 1999, 11:37 PM
Denise

I would recommend taking two rooms adjoining. You will thank yourself once your on board and trying to get ready for dinner. The two bathrooms will come in handy, especially with teenagers! The deck location doesn't make too much of a difference. Your taking an elevator almost everywhere so an extra floor or two here and there won't make a difference. My best embarkation advice is to go early and I would suggest bring wine if you like to drink a lot. Celebrity Cruises does offer a great wine list, however buying wine everynight for dinner will bring a big surprize at the end of your cruise...the bill. Have a great time. If you have anymore questions feel free to e-mail me. <BR> <BR>Denise Blackmore <BR>CruiseShipCenters <BR>http://www.cruise-the-world.com

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 03:34 PM
David

Debra- I just returned from a 10 night western Mediteranean sailing on the CENTURY. I had a Suite and although good size, it is not large enough for a family of four. Take the two staterooms. The ship is fantastic! I am also fussy about my wine and I actually took 2 bottles with me. You CAN take wine on board, they charge you a $6.00 corkage fee. Our wine steward apreciated our choices and although I had heard of "attitude" given by some wine stewards on board, we had no problems at all. The CENTURY has a very good wine selection and we had wine every evening with dinner. If you do not finish the bottle, they will cork it for you and it will be waiting the next night at your table. Please remember that you are charged 15% for each drink (wine, coke, etc) purchased. This is how your wine steward receives his gratuity. At the end of the cruise when you receive your gratuity envelopes, be sure to get an "extra" envelope for your wine steward especially if you bring your own wine. The wine steward can not make much on 15% of $6.00! All others will have their own envelope for you to express your appreciation. (They give gidelines, but they are somewhat low and you most likely will want to give more). The service you receive is excellent. With children take the first dinner seating. The late seating is actually 8:45 P.M. and can seem late for a 12 and 17 year old. As far as Embarkation goes, this is where Celebrity falls a bit short. Unless you are in a suite which gives priorty embarkation, you will be given a number upon arrival at the dock and must wait your turn. Be sure to complete all of your boarding information cards before going to the ship, this will help speed you up. Plan to go 1 hour before the published time for embarkation. They always start boarding earlier than the published time. Public areas are great. The ship is extremly well maintained. There were very few children (or teenagers) on my sailing last week, but the ship does have activides and plenty to do. The CENTURY is a wonderful ship and you can be sure to have a great vacation. Enjoy your curise!!! P.S. The food is actually as good as you heard!

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 06:27 PM
Debra

Thank you to all...we booked two category "9" cabins (inside)becuase the privacy for us and total space (350 sq ft) seemed best given a party of four. I appreciate the efforts of those that read this forum...I'll post a report of our "spring break" aboard Century! <BR>

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 08:04 AM
Jonmon

I've been on two cruises and am 14 years old. You've definetly picked the right ship. I was on it for a week and visited mexico and the key west area. Definetly 2 rooms. I have an older brother and a younger sister and two rooms worked out perfecly. Whether or not to have ocean view is another decision. It's imperative to have at least one room with a window. (You'll thank me later.) Oh, and by the way, I have my Scuba diving licence and every stop we made was amaizing because of it. TAKE MY ADVICE!!! LEARN HOW BEFORE YOU GO!!!!