Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Baltic cruise.Starboard or portside balcony?

Oct 8th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

we are considering the Crown Princess Baltic cruise for next summer. Can anyone let me know which side is more scenic for a balcony, port or starboard? Thanks for any input! Megan
Oct 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM

I don't think it really matters. We were there June this yr. Either way is fine.
Oct 10th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Someone on another site reported that all of the ports are industrial and recommended an inside cabin to save money. Is a balcony worth it in the
baltics? thanks in advance for any input meg
Oct 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Well some of the ports are but the views of entering the cities, especially Stockholm and Oslo are amazing. Its really up to you but for us a balcony is a must and if you go in the summer the intangible of sitting on your balcony at midnight at seeing the sun set is amazing. JM2C. Larry PS: Get a balcony.
Oct 10th, 2007, 05:32 PM

There are several ways to look at this:

If you really want to save money,then don't get a balcony.

However, ( when are you going?)..if it is in June or early July then you will be in St.Petersburg for what they call the White Nights.

This is because of the extreme amount of daylight you have at this time of the year..doing the Baltic Cruise.

Now because of this "extra" amount of daylight, you could be sitting on your balcony at midnight and reading a book!!!!

Another factor ( and only you can decide this ) is how much time are you going to spend in your room.
After a day of touring, you come back, shower, change ,and go to dinner..after dinner you might take in the evening show...after that is it bedtime because you have another early morning tour the next day!!

I went in August of this year( on the Star Princess) and jacketwatch went on June 11 , also on the Star Princess, therefore jacketwatch had the luxury of being there during the "White Nights" period... actually...

to tell the truth, jacketwatch took my cabin on June 11th...when I called Princess Cruise Lines to book June 11 the ..the lady told me :
"Sorry jacketwatch took your cabin...he told us you were sick , #39;( so after I had a good cry I booked in August !!!( Hi jacketwatch )

Here are the ports that will not matter as you are coming into Port.
1. Copenhagen
2. Helsinki
3. St.Petersburg
4. Tallinn Estonia
5. Gydnia for Gdansk

Oslo has the best port entry.
as for Stockholm...if you run into any weather delay ( like strong winds)..then you will dock in Nynashaum Port, about a 40 minute drive from Stockholm.

Of course if money does not matter at all..then of course get a balcony.

The Crown Princess is a huge ship 3080 people !!

Have a nice trip
Time for GoodNight
Percy
Oct 11th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Hello Percy. I'm glad you're still talking to me after I pirated your cabin. We are headed to DC this WE for a three day holiday. Don't tell me I got you room again! Cheers, Larry
Oct 11th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your advice. I actually booked a mini-suite (e731) for the 7/29/07 sailing! Meg
Oct 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Thats wonderful Have a great cruise
Oct 11th, 2007, 05:54 PM

jacketwatch

Have a nice time and say Hi to "W" for me.!!
Percy