Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Baltic Cruise: HAL Rotterdam departing Copenhagen, 4 September 2009 (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/baltic-cruise-hal-rotterdam-departing-copenhagen-4-september-2009-a-452554/)

bigarm1 Nov 19th, 2008 06:41 PM

Baltic Cruise: HAL Rotterdam departing Copenhagen, 4 September 2009

Would any passengers on this sailing be interested in discussing stopover tour options at St Petersburg and other ports ?

Percy Nov 19th, 2008 07:24 PM

Do you have a tour guide company in St. Petersburg and you are asking others to join you on the tour ?

Percy

Ida101 Nov 20th, 2008 02:11 AM

Also check www.cruise-critics. Enroll and you can go to your "Roll-call" in the HAL section.
You will meet your fellow-passengers there and discuss things like you mention.

Jeff801 Nov 20th, 2008 12:38 PM

Bigarm,

In 2007, four of us engaged Julia and Vladimir for 2 1/2 days in St. Petersburg. Even with the cost of obtaining our own visas, the cost was well under half of what ship's tours would have been for 4. And, they have a mini-van which could easily carry six tourists.

We were able to see much more than we would have with the ship's tours and Julia has an acquaintance with many staff at the popular attractions. That leads to much less waiting for admissions. You will also get to buy lunch in local restaurants that do not accommodate the large tour groups.

Julia will be happy to arrange evening admissions to ballet and folkloric groups if you wish. While the ballet choice is normally limited to Swan Lake or Swan Lake, seeing it in a small theater with a prima ballerina who was a wonderful dancer, terrific actor, and looked like Grace Kelly was more than enough to make up for the lack of choice.

You can reach Julia at [email protected] or +7-921-324-46-40. I think you should consider engaging her as soon as you can assemble a group.

BTW, we arranged a day trip to Berlin from Warnemunde with Berlin walks and were very happy with the tour and the cost.

Percy Nov 20th, 2008 12:50 PM

Jeff801

How long of a drive was it to Berlin.
and

How much time did you have in Berlin

Thanks

Jeff801 Nov 21st, 2008 06:07 AM

Percy,

The drive to Berlin was about 2 1/2 hours. It would have been longer if the driver chose to touch the ground more often. Those legends about autobahn speeds appear to be correct.

Nonetheless, because the we were off the ship at 7:30 and it did not depart until 10:00 p.m., we had a very full eight hours in Berlin.

The car was a new VW van, it had an AutoEurope sticker, which easily could have carried 8.

Jeff

chepar Nov 21st, 2008 08:38 AM

Jeff801,

If you don't mind, how much was the tour with Berlin Walks?

I'm taking a Baltic cruise next July and one of our stops is in Warnemunde. I'm still going back and forth as to whether I want to do the long trip into Berlin or spen a more relaxing day closer to port.

Percy Nov 21st, 2008 01:17 PM

Jeff801

Did you book one of the private tour companies in St.Petersburg?
How old was Julia ?( about ).

Did you feel you had ample time in Berlin to see all the major sites.

Yes, I know all about the Autobhahn. !

(Hi chepar).

Percy

Jeff801 Nov 21st, 2008 01:52 PM

Percy,

I found Julia through www.spbwondertour.com. But, you can book directly. She will be happy to provide additional references. Just be certain to let her know what time zone you are in, lest you too get a call at 4:30 a.m.

I think she is about 45.

For one day, we felt we had time to see everything we could, thanks to the half hour tour at the Pergamun. But, it was our first time in the city and we hope to go back some time.

Percy Nov 21st, 2008 05:52 PM

Thanks Jeff801

No, it is not the same Julia I had when I was there.