Baltic

Sep 22nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Baltic

Thousands of us take cruises every year and I often wonder why some feel compelled to write about their trips? Answer questions, even ask questions of those of us who have made the trip can serve a purpose but it is so self serving to write a report about a trip. Is it bragging or what?
Sep 22nd, 2007, 12:53 PM

Actually I'm stunned you would even ask such a question on the cruise forum of a travel board. Of course its not bragging nor self serving. It sharing and communicating information to others with similar interests. We all learn from these exchanges, travel vicariously, recall our own trips, plan future ones, get ideas about what to do and where to go. There are many purposes served.
Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:38 PM

I agree with you 100 % jacketwatch.

When you left on your Baltic Cruise on June 11th , I was patiently waiting for your return and your report.

You provided very valuable information for me an many other.

I could never ask the question that a trip report gives, how can you ,there are just too many questions.

It is AFTER reading a trip report that I may have additional question to ask.

For example ,jackwatch had you not written a trip report and I am soooo happy you did,here are some of the question I would have asked ,and this would be only about Sweden:

1. Where did your ship dock and was it on time.?
2.Did you take a Taxi from the dock to down town Stockholm??
3. Did you visit the Vasa Museum?
4. How much did it cost at the Vasa.?
5. Did you have to exchange to local currency in Stockholm.?
6.How did you get back to Gamla Stan from the Vasa?
7. If you took the ferry ,where did you have to walk to get the ferry.

I think I will quit now as I only have another 57 question about Stockholm..but I will not ask them BECAUSE you wrote a great report on your Baltic Cruise.

In fact the type of report I get nothing out of is this type:

"Just returned from 3 weeks on Nile Cruise in Egypt."
I am prepared to answer question...oh really !!!! well I have 100 question BUT if you do a trip report,then maybe you will have asnwered 95 of them !

Bragging ..hmm ..really!!
Well let me see:
I have done trip reports on England Ireland,Scotland,Wales Italy Greece and the Islands,Turkey,The Galapagos,Venice, France, Barcelona The major Baltic Places, all of South America including Ecuador.
All major places in Mexico, Egypt, Costa Rica, Panama,Nicaragua Autralia,New Zealand Tasmania, Alaska,and many more.

Am I bragging ..heck no.
No one knows who I am or where I live or what I do.

I could be in Dublin Ireland or Christchurch New Zealand.

No one cares ,all they want to do is hopefully obtain some helpful information from my Trip Reports.

When I plan a trip somewhere I search for trip reports that others have written about where I am planning to go.

You know jacketwatch if I was planning to go the the French Polynesia then I would re-read your trip report of last September 2006.

I really do not think that the "bragging" factor ever enters into our desire to help other by doing a trip report.

But picky, my man, (or woman) your are for sure entitled to voice your opinion and I Thank You for it.

Good Night All
Percy
Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:45 AM

"Dublin Ireland or Christchurch New Zealand" eh.
Sep 23rd, 2007, 07:38 AM

Yeah !!! you know where I live jacketwatch, but I am still not bragging !!!

Percy
Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:17 AM

And you could! Cheers, Larry
Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:48 AM

Thanks for posting my message jmvp. My computer is working now, every once in a while Fodors seems to act up.

Let me know over the winter months how your Baltic cruise planning for end of May 2008 is going.
Any question ,just e-mail me if you want.

Hi jacketwatch

Percy

Sep 23rd, 2007, 11:41 AM
Jed

picky - If you ask why some people write trip reports, you will never understand why.
Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM

I agree Jed

Personally I find trip reports helpful.

I read them even if I have already been to the place.

I was in Egypt for 3 weeks in 2005 but I still read trip reports on it, I may not answer them but I read them ...as it is nice to know what others thought of the place.!

Percy
Sep 23rd, 2007, 05:52 PM

I think old Picky is just trying to be a troll on this one. Shame on you.
Oct 4th, 2007, 03:40 PM

I have immensely enjoyed reading your posted reports on your Baltic cruises and would like to thank you for taking the time to post them. On a cruise that is this port intensive it it quite helpful to get ideas on what to see and what is possible to do during the short time in port. By reading others experiences you get a feel for the time and then can make decisions about your own day in port. Watch for my questions in the coming months, especially after the holidays when I really start planning for July 2008.
Oct 4th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Thank you. Will do. Larry
Oct 5th, 2007, 02:35 AM

I wonder why you are posting or even looking on this forum Picky! Curiosity?

I just wish more people would write their cruise trip reports. It is both interesting AND informative.
I do find it a tad disappointing though as not enough people use it -unlike the Europe forum.
Oct 5th, 2007, 06:07 AM

I you look at Pickys posts some are, well average posts but others are "edgy." I think this poster wants at times to get a rise out of people and then watch them react. Oh well. JM2C.
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:21 PM

i read everything i can on baltic cruises because you learn from others mistakes . I have booked my accom for Paris from recommendations on these talks and am still trying to do london ...so keep writing i appreciate the help