Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Back of the ship (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/back-of-the-ship-346024/)

DonnaKe Aug 8th, 2003 09:25 AM

Back of the ship

Hi,
I have booked a cruise on Serenade of the Seas for feb. I took a suite on the rear of the ship due to its elongated patio. Some people have told me the back of the boat isnt that nice...is this true? I thought I had a great room for the price????

triathlete Aug 8th, 2003 09:48 AM

Can't speak to that particular ship, but in general my first choice is the back of the boat--much better, more functional balconies. Also tends to have good access (especially if there's a rear "crew" stairway) to the open decks above.

"Those people" are just jealous of your good taste and fortune...

Cheers!

maryann Aug 8th, 2003 01:58 PM

The only problem I've heard of with the aft cabins is if they are under the Lido deck.

Early in the AM the decks are washed (junk on the deck), and alot of setting up of the chaises.

If your cabin is lower than that, you should be OK.

gabriele Aug 24th, 2003 09:30 PM

You might want to check your deck plans. On my last cruise, I woke up to the jarring and noise of the anchor moving, usually at 5:00 A.M. or so. Not a location I would pick again.

luv2fly Aug 25th, 2003 07:23 PM

The back of the ship gets all the propeller noise and the very front of the ship gets the anchor noise.

Why do you think the prime rooms are in the middle of the ship?

triathlete Aug 26th, 2003 05:56 AM

Donna:

Don't worry about anchor noise, propeller noise, or noise from moving deck chairs. You probably won't be bothered by any of this--but if you're concerned, pick up some cheap foam ear plugs (I always carry them with me when I travel--never know when you'll be behind a screaming baby on a plane or in a hotel room next to a guy with a loud cough.

I think you'll be just fine and you'll love the big balcony.

Have a great time!

maucat Aug 26th, 2003 11:53 PM

We always book the aft suites if we can. They usually have larger balconies which are great, especially if the ship is sailing north as you have the sun all day. On sea days you get to spend all day in the sun away from the crowds around the pool. It's wonderful to watch the wake disappear whilst sipping a large drink. It really feels like cruising. My husband also loves to watch the activities of the ship docking and leaving port so whichever side of the ship is closest to land he has a good view. He is often out there almost before daylight in his pyjamas. We have never experienced any untoward noise or movement. Maybe we have just been lucky.

Hold Aug 28th, 2003 07:33 AM

Two other advantages of cabins in the rear of the ship:

1 Less wind, since you are sheltered from the wind created by the ship moving 20-25 mph forward, and;

2 Your field of view is to BOTH sides of the ship. Instead of seeing only views to Port OR starboard, you see whats happening on both sides of the ship.

One Disadvantage is motion. The farther you are from the center of the ship the more up and down movement you'll feel when at sea.