Cell phone & internet services

Old May 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cell phone & internet services

I would like to take my cell phone so that when I return, if I need it, I'll have it. I will charge it up before I go and turn it off. Then, 10 days later, I'll return and turn it back on. I'm not sure it'll still have a charge (I've never tried this) and wondered if I'll be able to plug it in and charge it up in my cabin. I'm going on the Navagator of the Seas, can I recharge it in my cabin and will I need a converter? Secondly, several years ago I took my laptop to Europe with me and was shackeled to the thing the whole time. Is there a business center or computer room on board that I can use? What is the fee?
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:31 PM

You won't need a converter.
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:40 PM

All RCI ships have U.S-style electricity and plugs. Navigator of the Seas does have an internet cafe. Right now, RCI charges 65 cents per minute in the internet cafe, or you can buy a plan for an hour or several hours (starting at $35 for one hour of use). Most RCI ships also offer Wi-Fi (I'm not sure about Navigator, but I think they offer Wi-Fi now). Prices are the same. Internet service on ships can be sporadic and very slow, so keep that in mind.
Old May 4th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for clearing that up for me. I can take my phone and I will either forgo using the internet completely or buy the plan. Great job. Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:19 AM

Just make sure you use your phone only when you are in port. Although you'll pay a huge roaming charge in Europe (usually about $2 per minute), you pay an even larger one to use the phone aboard the ship ($4 to $6 per minute, depending on the line).
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Wow. That's good to know. Thanks. I have intended to only use it if I needed it after I have returned to the states. Hopefully I won't need it, but it's a powerful bit of security for me. I'll be careful, thanks Doug.