Avalon's Rhine River Cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned earlier this month from a trip from Zurich to Amsterdamn on Avalon's Creativity. Honestly: a perfect trip. We even had gorgeous weather 7 days of the 8. This was my second Avalon trip (the first being Tulip Time). HIGHLY recommend!!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM

Thanks Level! I'll be doing a Amsterdam to Basel trip with Avalon next May. How was the food day trips? Any special advice you would give to a newbie river cruiser?

Hope you are preparing a trip synopsis for us to enjoy!
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Paul,
Can't think of much special advice. The only thing I would have done differently is pack a few more items. I tried to pack light, and did, but it the weather was a lot hotter than anticipated and I wished I'd had more "fresh" clothing. There is laundry service on-board, but it is expensive. If you have a laptop and wish to use internet, you may want to bring it as it was hard to get access to the ship's computers. And pack good, comfortable walking shoes of course. If you are a beer drinker, you're in luck. I did not try a beer I did not like, and I am pickier in the states! If you're traveling with Avalon, they provide a daily info sheet on the town you'll be in that day. It includes a map. Be sure to take it with you for your free roaming time, and try the foods suggested! You will have a GREAT time!!
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

BTW,
I've created a web site called “Jill Hulsmann” to share pictures with friends and family. If interestd in the Europe pics, check it out at http://jillhulsmann.shutterfly.com/.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Jill, thanks for the information and pictures. Last question, did you enjoy the food on the ship or did you skip meals and eat locally?

And yes, I know I will love the beer. I'm not a big beer drinker (hard to say since I'm in Milwaukee) but I do like GOOD beer. I'll have only maybe one or two a a sitting, if it is good. Thanks again.

Paul
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Level is right on! River cruising is great. We've done 5 of them, 4 in Europe. Our favorite was Christmas Markets on the Rhine almost 3 years ago. You see and experience so much off and on the ship. We never had to eat elsewhere because each region's food was prepared onboard. The staff on each ship is interactive and gracious. The Christmas season cruises are not all shopping. You'll learn and get into much of the history. (The rivers have been Europe's highways for centuries.) We plan to do Christmas Markets on the Danube in 2010, even though we cruised the Danube cruise in Oct. five years ago to see the fall colors. The Musical Vienna excursion (a bit extra $) is not to be missed. It's in a palace with original costumes from Mozart's and Strauss's eras--also ballet & champagne intermission. If you get the urge to do a Christmas cruise, you might get on a last call at gct.com. You'll want to go no sooner than Dec. 5, since some markets are not set up til then. You'd want a long coat, cap, mittens, umbrella just in case. Something to keep in mind.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Troll Alert:

This poster promotes his RUBA website, just click on the poster's name.

Collette would not sell anything that is not on their own website.