Luggage tags on Carnival Ships

Old Sep 25th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luggage tags on Carnival Ships

I have just received my travel documents for a cruise on Carnival Breeze for Dec. 8th. from my travel agency.

To my surprise, the only luggage tag is a piece of paper that I'm supposed to photocopy and put around the handle of my suitcases! I have been on over 20 cruises and it's the first time that I get a piece of paper, usually it is a tag that is so strong that you cannot tear it even if you wanted to.

Last year I was on Ruby Princess and had the regular luggage tags. I called Carnival and they told me that's all you get for your luggages. The agent told me to put it on my luggage before leaving. The handlers are so rough with your luggages (every year I come back with something broken or caved in on my suitcases) I don't think that a piece of paper attached to them will last too long!

Any suggestions on how to make sure that the tags survive the trip long enough so my luggages arrive safely to the right cabin and not get loss. Anyone had their luggages misplaced or loss because of that. I know that they want to save money, but I think there's a limit.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 03:09 PM

I used a laminator to strengthen the tags. If you don't have one, you can use clear packing tape. It works pretty much the same. I then used a hole punch and tied them to my bags. I didn't have any problem. I cut out the extra paper that is folded underneath to make it more streamlined.
Old Sep 25th, 2012, 03:29 PM

I have not had anything but a paper luggage tag for a cruise in about 3 years. These cruises have been on sister company, Princess. I do use the clear packing tape, hole punch and twist tie trick, works great.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:17 AM

Only one cruise and received a paper luggage tag. I wrapped it with thick clear packing tape so the paper would not tear but was bendable then tied it to my luggage handle with more tape. Worked a treat!
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 09:04 AM

All cruise lines are stopping those self-adhesive tags. Don't worry, you can get a "real" tag when you check the luggage in at the embarkation port. The porters will have them.

DO NOT put the tag on before leaving. Put it on before going to the dock. The tag can fall off during the airline's "handling".
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 12:13 PM

I have seen nothing but the print your own and fold it yourself luggage tag for quite a while now (at least 2 plus years).

I usually pre-print them on a color printer, using thicker paper (32 weaight as oppose to regular 20) and bring with me a small stapler. The color will make a difference for the porters. By the way, inkjet will run if it gets wet, so laser is preferred.

I usually staple the tags (as per the instruction) at the hotel lobby, prior to boarding the shuttle to the pier. Knock on wood, nothing bad has happened yet.

I guess the clear packaging tape would work well and give it some protection.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 01:02 PM

I wonder if crayons will work for those without color cartridges
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 09:23 AM

Printing the tag in color is not necessary but the color will make it easier for the ship's crew to ID where the luggage is suppose to go. I believe the tags are color coded by deck, and by location (front/mid/aft).

Without the color, they can still read the tag and see cabin numbers.

Dayenu, if you want to use Crayos, make sure the color matches. Gold and yellow are awefully close and you don't want your bag goes to the wrong deck!
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 01:11 PM

I went on a Carnival cruise last month and printed the tags but didn't have anything to stick them on my luggage when I got to the port so I didn't know what to do. As was said above, you can get tags when you are checking into your cruise and they take your luggage. They will give you the tags.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:07 PM

Just to be secure, make copies of the tags and put it inside the luggage. The CS on the ship will look inside if necessary and it will show to whom the luggage belongs. All our luggage got delivered except my wife's (then my GF) toiletries bag because the tag did get ripped off and she did not put anything inside to identify the owner. Fortunately CS had the bag and after an inquiry she got her bag. That's when she learned about the easy trick of putting a copy of the paper tag inside every bag.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 01:12 PM

I've seen this mentioned on cruisecritic. (or something similar). But I personally just go the tape and staple route. Works fine and no need to waste the money. I'd rather get a drink onboard!

http://www.amazon.com/Cruise-Luggage.../dp/B005DFO530
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 09:17 PM

AAFrequentFlyer. Good tip. I will have to remember that. So far, my mini staple from the dollar store has not failed me yet. The mini staple is about the size of a nail clipper so it is not taking up too much space.