Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Are wallet sized copies of birth certificates good enough?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Cathie

I have been researching getting copies of our birth certificates from the states we were born in for upcoming cruise.<BR>Was thinking that a small wallet size would be easier to keep track of and wondered if anyone knows if these are acceptable?<BR>They sound like they are considered certified as well as the large one.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:53 PM
traveler

No way if I understand your post correctly. You must have the absolute original issued by the government with the raised seal or you won't even be allowed to board.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 09:56 PM
traveler

P.S. You get the birth certificates from your cities or states Vital Statistics office.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Cathie

That is where I found out about the wallet size copy. There was a $15, $10 and then the wallet size. It stated that all versions were certified by the State of Illinois and are acceptable for all legal purposes.<BR>Never heard of the wallet one so was wondering if it really would be acceptable?

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 10:39 PM
traveler

oh, never heard of that either! I guess if the State says it's alright it must be. I'll get one for myself if that's true. Try the cruise lines in the morning, they should know (I hope).

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Cathie

Thanks..didn't even think to check with the cruise lines. I appreciate your help.<BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:04 AM
marilyn

I have a wallet sized certified copy (with raised seal) of my birth certificate. I don't know how my mother got it, but I've had it all my life. <BR><BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Marilyn..feel better that yours is a raised seal and official.<BR>Tried to call the cruise line and they kept putting me on hold.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 01:44 PM

We just went on a cruise with my husband's employees. Two of them had the wallet-sized birth certificates, but only one of the two had a raised seal. I believe if the seal is raised on the certificate, it can be used. However, both of them elected to get a new certified copy that was on paper. If the Illinois one has the raised seal, I believe it will be ok, but keep checking with the cruise line. You don't want to get there and have a problem.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Why don't you just spend a little more and get a passport?
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 04:03 AM

I would go with the passport also.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:55 AM

We live in Washinton St. and both my son's who are 19 and 17 have had them since they were born. They have a raised seal and have a signiture on the back. They have been valid for travel to Mexico and Caribbean.