Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Are there any 3rd & 4th in cabin cruise deals now?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:15 AM
family to cruise

We are planning a family trip. Unfortunately, we need a deal for the kids as 3rd & 4th in the cabin... not the $400 plus I'm seeing. Might as well get them a separate cabin at that price... but they are too young to stay alone... and that would just split up the family.

Anyone had any luck? Need summer or end of March because of school schedules.

Thanks!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Starfish

There are not many quad cabins available on ships except maybe on Disney.
You are going to find it very hard to find a bargain for a quad.
You are better off with 2 cabins.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Peter

I don't know where starfish gets his information from (maybe charlie the tuna) but we have had no trouble getting quad cabins on any of our thirteen cruises - all of which were with our two teens. We have had cabins from insides to owners suites and we've had no problems as long as we didn't wait until the last minute. As far as the cost - if you limit yourself to the summer and school vacations, you're going to pay a premium (they ain't stupid). Depending on which week in March - you might try the Rhapsody of RCCL - I know they have $199 rates right now for the 3rd and 4th. I would expect the cruise market to be soft thru the spring so these bargains will roll forward - but maybe not during the "children periods".

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Barbara

We are cruising on the Horizon on Jan. 19. I was able to book the kids for $200 each.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Paul Therault

Best prices for children I can find is the Costa ships up until April when they head to Europe. $60 plus port and tax.

Paul

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:25 AM
reg

Hey Paul, where can i find and book the Costa Cruise? I have two children and the $60.00 per sounds pretty good.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Peter

reg - Paul is a typical travel agent - read his post carefully - $60 PLUS port and tax. This will end up at $200 or more. See my recommendation for the Rhapsody or Barbara's Horizon.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 06:07 AM
shark

Try to book two inside adjoining cabins.
I kow that NCL has them, not sure who else has them. We prefer to have this arrangement as it was approx $200.00 extra to get the second cabin instead of a quad. The second shower and the extra privacy was worth the extra money.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Paul Therault

Hi reg,

Just call a travel agent and they will get you the Costa booking.

Peter is just being ornery again. If the price is $199 total. How could that be since the port charges are about $139 and taxes are approx. 50 to 60 dollars? That means the kids sail free. Good deal yes? Try it.

Costa Atlantica $60 + $139 + 55.42 = $254.42. Big plus .... and you'll love that ship.

Paul

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Peter

Like I said, Paul's $60 doesn't include the port charges so when you compare his Costa price to my Rhapsody price - there about the same. The only difference will be the taxes and they're probably going to be within $5 one way or the other. So when he says the best childrens price he can find is the Costa Atlantica - he isn't looking very hard.

Do a search on this forum or others about the Costa cruise experience. Very few children, spicey food, and announcements in four different languages because of the primarily European passengers and finally - smoking everywhere (typical European). Think twice about Costa regardless of the post Pauls going to make tonight at 3:00am.

Check any of the "American Market" cruise lines and you'll find the $199 plus tax rates for a variety of cruises this spring.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:27 PM
family to cruise

Thanks for all the ideas!

One more question... I prefer to show online... any ideas here?

Thanks again!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:33 PM
nic

paul.... why would you make a suggestion for a cruise in europe to a family who is budget conscious... the airfare ALONE will be more that a total caribbean cruise will cost them???
and you CAN find really low rates for 3rd and 4th passangers on most contemporary cruise lined (ncl, rccl, carnival, and celeb)

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Paul Therault

I said nothing about cruising Europe.

And as far as 3rd and 4th children in a stateroom no one can beat the $60. I search prices everyday.

Why do I always get an argument? What is the matter with you people? I am just attempting to save you some money. I am not making any additional profit.

A now we go to spicey food on Costa from a guy that has never cruised Costa but listens to all the other crackpots. There is no spicey food on Costa. I wish there was at least some entrees that were spicey.
Also, only the initial announcements is made a three languages. There are no other foreign language announcements in the Caribbean. In Europe they are not made at all after the intial. No fine art announcements, no bingo announcements, etc.

Paul

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Peter

family to cruise - trust me, you can find the SAME $60 3rd and 4th rate on any of the mass-market lines (RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, Carnival) as you can for Costa. Paul just likes to confuse people with his "And as far as 3rd and 4th children in a stateroom no one can beat the $60." This simply equates to the $199 specials you'll see when you search the other lines. You'll then pay taxes on top of the $199 whether its Costa or someone else. The difference will be that some of the .com (and probably "brick and mortar" agents) will likely have some RCCL, Celebrity or Princess coupons they can use for you bringing their cost below Paul's Costa price.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Paul Therault

Peter, will you stop blabbing and post the actual price for the children as I did above with the port and tax included.

Let me put it in simple terms that you may be able to understand:

$60 is the cruise price for one child, any child, for one 7 night Costa cruise. $139 is the port charges which you add to the $60.
Now you add the tax which is variable. The exact amount is not known until you book but it is within $5 of $55.42. If you can add these three totals you will come to $254.42.

So now you can search for 14 hours. Every ship and every itinerary in 2003 and 2004 to see if you can refute my post.

Paul

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Peter

Don't have to - I'm not asking the question. But - like I ORIGINALLY said, the Rhapsody in March is $199 (60 + 139) plus taxes - SAME AS COSTA!

Another poster said that the she's on the Horizon in January for that same price.

But you keep coming back trying to make your third world Costa cruise cheaper than anything else out there and its just not true. Do you get any repeat travel bookings?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 02:18 PM
andy

To family to cruise-

There are some wondeful deals with Celebrity -particularly the Century- as far as 3rd and 4th pass---roughly under $300 pp (including all port taxes).

Go look---

These rates were for MARCH -during Spring Break