Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Anyone thinking about living on a cruise ship?

Old May 31st, 2021, 12:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I'm new here. Hope you're all having a wonderful day!

So anyways, anyone thinking about living on a cruise ship? Like when you wake up you're always besides the sea and what not? I'm dreaming of living on one actually! But I wanna hear your thoughts about this. Thank you
Old May 31st, 2021, 05:32 AM

People have been living full time aboard cruise ships for decades. There are also several ships where all the staterooms are privately owned (like a condo) and their owners live aboard year round. The ship “The World” is one of the most well known.

The cruiscritic website has a whole section devoted to the full time live aboard lifestyle. Also, if you do an internet search using such topics as “living full time on a cruise ship” you’ll find scores of links that will answer all your questions and dozens more you haven’t even thought of yet.

Bottom line - some people love the lifestyle others don’t. You have to figure out which group is “you”. Lastly, it is not an inexpensive way to live.
Old May 31st, 2021, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by RoamsAround View Post
People have been living full time aboard cruise ships for decades. There are also several ships where all the staterooms are privately owned (like a condo) and their owners live aboard year round. The ship “The World” is one of the most well known.

The cruiscritic website has a whole section devoted to the full time live aboard lifestyle. Also, if you do an internet search using such topics as “living full time on a cruise ship” you’ll find scores of links that will answer all your questions and dozens more you haven’t even thought of yet.

Bottom line - some people love the lifestyle others don’t. You have to figure out which group is “you”. Lastly, it is not an inexpensive way to live.
Could not have said it better.
No way for us.
Old May 31st, 2021, 11:21 AM

To start, it would have to be a really great ship, not necessarily large, but with nice ambiance and excellent entertainment.

That done, I would do it in a skinny minute except for three things.

I still have one sweet old cat who needs close observation and constant care.

I live close to my only, still young, Granddaughter and will never move far from her.

I think after awhile, I would not like meeting new people, perhaps wishing to have them as friends, and having them gone after only knowing them for a few days. As long as I had DH, and friends and family joined me once in awhile, I would be OK, but I would need at least one good, steady, but not needy, friend to hang out with sometimes if I was by myself.
Old May 31st, 2021, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's your thing (definitely not mine), would be fine while you're healthy, but what if you develop a chronic disease, or fall and break a hip?
Old May 31st, 2021, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

Omg you guys are definitely right. I will research more on this later on. Thank you for your insights!
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 01:01 AM

Has anyone noticed the weird first time posters always have a firstnamelastnamefournumbers screen name? Are they bots?
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 12:33 PM

There was a major article in the Wall Street Journal a few years ago on this subject and interview a number of people who were doing it. It is probably still cheaper than assisted living. We tend to do it in a scale down manner in the winter. We will book a series cruises each Jan through Mar in the Caribbean. Found it was cheaper than renting a condo on the water in Florida. If we didn't have local ties I could see doing it on a much long time line.
Old Jun 1st, 2021, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
Has anyone noticed the weird first time posters always have a firstnamelastnamefournumbers screen name? Are they bots?
Lol I know right? Apparently if you registered using your gmail, Fodors automatically creates a username for you. Still finding a way to edit username tho
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by jennyadams4933 View Post
Lol I know right? Apparently if you registered using your gmail, Fodors automatically creates a username for you. Still finding a way to edit username tho gt;
I REALLY appreciate that response..
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
I REALLY appreciate that response..
Me too! I've always looked on those user names with suspicion. Afraid I don't know how to change a user name, but you might try asking on the Tech Support forum. Otherwise, since you don't have much history yet, you could try reregistering with a "real" user name.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

It's good to know people are taking second guesses on accounts like these. You might never know which is a spammer or not lol
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 05:03 AM
P_M

Whenever I'm on a cruise I always think that I could live on the ship. My problems with it would be:

-Rarely seeing friends and family from home
-Not being able to make lasting friendships as passesgers come and go
-Not being able to have a pet
-Mediocre health care on board

All that said, I can't deny it's tempting.
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by P_M View Post
Whenever I'm on a cruise I always think that I could live on the ship. My problems with it would be:

-Rarely seeing friends and family from home
-Not being able to make lasting friendships as passesgers come and go
-Not being able to have a pet
-Mediocre health care on board

All that said, I can't deny it's tempting.
Right?? Riiiight?? I mean every time you wake up you could see the sea (Which I absolutely love, well second to space but they're not doing any space cruises soon lol!) But you do have a point too though. I believe it would be a nice retirement plan or what not.