Anyone have any pet peeves about cabins?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Marge

Anyone have any pet peeves about cabins?

I will be going on my first cruise in a few weeks. I have read that some people always bring their own hangers because a lot of cabins don’t provide enough. I have also read that some people bring a 6 plug extension cord and clothes pins (for the shower).<BR><BR>Are there any other things that I should bring because the cabins are poorly equipped?<BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:04 AM
jen

I like the hangers idea, comes in handy when you have clothes for a whole week. I would reccomend bringing your own hair dryer and some of that spray on wrinkle releaser. I am planning on taking extra outlet plug when I go. Some people take duct tape, post its and highlighters. I never have, but seen many posts on what you could do with all of it. Another post suggested bringing those keep cold mugs for lemonade or mixed drinks in your room or by pool.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Man

Duck tape ? Who takes a duck on a cruise?<BR><BR>You must be quackers !

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Nanette

Hi Marge-<BR><BR>Pick up a $10 (maybe even five bucks, I don't remember) clear plastic "over the door shoe organizer" at Walmart.<BR><BR>It'll be the best money you've spent.<BR><BR>You can load up all of the pouches with shampoos, razors, suntan oil, etc. <BR><BR>No clutter!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Nanette

I just thought of something else.<BR><BR>Pick up a collapsible cooler. We used ours as a carry-on filled with wine and champagne.<BR><BR>We slipped our steward $10 and asked him to keep it full for us. (Each morning, I'd attach $3 to it with a clothes pin).<BR><BR>He kept us LOADED with ice. If he'd see a bottle of wine out, he'd ice it down. Same with beer.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Mandy

If you like to sleep in a really dark room, bring a couple clips (like you put on potato chip bag) to close the curtains together.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Kassie

Also:<BR>Bungie cord (i think that's what its called) you know the short black one that people sometimes use to keep luggage on their cart. It can be used not just for luggage but to keep the balcony door open so you can hear the ocean.<BR><BR>Duct tape has many uses. Use it to put a big X across your standard black suit case before disembarkation. That way yours stands out from the 2000 other standard black suitcases dumped together. Have glass/fragile souvenirs? Well use what you can to wrap them in (paper, clothes, whatever) then use the duct tape to secure it. DO NOT pack the duct tape in your carryon since airport security may have a problem with that.<BR><BR>$2 bills, convenient to tip for the little things - room service and in ports, etc.<BR><BR>Little flashlight (especially if inside cabin). Alarm clock b/c no clocks in the cabins.<BR><BR>I dont, but if you bring on your own wine and you want to drink in the cabin bring a corkscrew b/c I've heard they are hard to acquire on the ship.<BR><BR>Those plastic waterproof necklace things that hold your id, $ and S&S card at the beach or by the pool.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Ray Charles

Kassie:<BR><BR>You say that I should bring a flashlight if I have an interior cabin. Why? Do the interior cabins not have lights?

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Anna

It's pitch black with the lights off and the door closed. Bring a small flashlight, or at very least a clock or watch with a lighted dial. It's rather strange waking up in pitch dark and not being able to tell what time it is. I forgot to unpack the flashlight the first night and woke up several times.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Paul Therault

The most important reason for bringing a flashlight is because there is no emergency lighting in the cabin. Also on the second to last NCL ship I sailed there was no emergency lighting in the halls.<BR><BR>FYI .... On the last night of the cruise do put a sweatshirt and long pants or sweatpants in your carry-on bag (not in your luggage) in case of emergency. You can transfer them back to your luggage in the terminal in the morning.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 11:22 PM
Kassie

Thanks Anna and Paul. I didn't realize I should have explained in great detail the obvious need for certain items.<BR><BR>Mr. Ray Charles: FYI, the alarm clock is so that you can tell the time and also set the alarm in the event that you wish to wake yourself up without relying on a wake up call. Regarding the flashlight, as has been indicated, the cabins (especially inside cabins) can be pitch black. If you need to use the facilities in the middle of the night I would hate for you to stumble out of bed, trip over your shoes while you fumble to find the light, break your leg and wet yourself while you realize that you don't have medical alert. If you plan to use some of the other items listed please make sure not to stick the hangers into the socket of the 6 plug extension cord or you may get quite a shock before you wet your jammies. Also take any shoes out of the over the door Walmart shoe organizer. If you don't you may once again wind up sunny side up on the floor crying like a baby. Don't plug the hairdryer into the 6 plug extension cord and then put it in the cooler full of ice. If the ice melts you may feel worse than had you put the hanger in the socket of the 6 plug cord. And last but not least, the wrinkle releaser is for wrinkled clothes. It is NOT to be taken orally. I tell you all this because you seem as though you are a Darwin award waiting to happen. Enjoy your cruise!!!<BR><BR>

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 07:42 PM
question

Kassie would medical alert work on a ship? Just curious since sometimes I fall and can't get up when I have chest pains.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Paul Therault

You mean to tell us Kathy that you have a medical alert and no one told you how it operates? Or you never asked?<BR><BR>It won't even work a block from your home.<BR><BR>Paul<BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 08:20 PM
x

Who's Kathy?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Paul Therault

Sorry I meant to address "Question." My eyes are reading faster than my brain.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Nanette

I just thought of something else, Marge-<BR><BR>On our Carnival cruise, they supplied us with TYLENOL PM. (At age 42, I'd NEVER taken anything resembling a sleeping pill before).<BR><BR>After several nights of not getting any sleep, I finally indulged.<BR><BR>Dunno whether it was the excitement of our first cruise (probably), or the motion of the ship, but they really came in handy.<BR><BR>Think about packing some.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Pam

Generally the motion of the ship makes me fall to sleep even faster. I love that motion.<BR>Keep avoiding meds as much as possible if you can.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 02:13 AM
Paul Therault

Now we all know how old you are Nanette. Grinning.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Nanette

Correction:<BR><BR>YOU know how old I am, Paul. Let's keep that our secret, ehh?<BR><BR>*grinning*

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Nanette

Whoops.......<BR><BR>Just read my last post.<BR><BR>The secret's out!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -