Anyone cruised to French Polynesia

Jan 6th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

Anyone cruised to French Polynesia

Cruising from Sydney to Honolulu in April one of our island stops in French Polynesia is Raiatea. What is recommended by way of activities on the island. Am thinking the Faaroa River tour looks interesting.

Have found Kaoha Nui through the Tahiti Tourism website. Has anyone used this company? Is it likely I would be safe booking with them (or any other company ?suggestions?) when I don't know what time I am likely to be disembarking?
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:20 AM

I can't speak for the tour co. but FP is pretty small so I would think word would get out fast about poor or substandard tour companies. When we were in Raiatea we took a 4x4 into the interior and it was spectacular. why don't you know when you are disembarking? Usually a tour co. meets passengers at a certain time as they often have several clients of separate bookings so unless you are hiring a private driver you will need to know about what time you disembark. Have fun. Larry
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jacketwatch - you helped me out with enquiries on Rarotonga, and suggested Michael Poole in Moorea

We have not fully paid for cruise yet. We have to pay in USD so we are waiting until the last minute as exchange rate is improving. So we don't have 'full' details of our cruise other than the brochure and website details for disembarkation.

When we booked Moorea was listed as a port but it seems it's now changed to Raiatea. 4x4 sounds good. Did you hire when there or pre-book. Then we could just stroll Papeete or perhaps hire scooters and do our own thing rather than race around on another island tour.

Is it worth hiring scooters and doing our own thing on Bora Bora or would a boat trip be the better option? Would we need to pre-book scooter anywhere?

Cheers, once again
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM

Thanks for jogging my memory. We prebooked the 4X4 with the cruise line as well as Dr. Poole dolphin encounter. I can't really be sure about prebooking although I don't think it would be necessary. You should be able to get them once on shore. As for scooters vs. a boat trip its up to you really. Other possibilites include a picnic on a motu which is really popular and snorkeling/scuba diving. While on Bora Bora stop at the iconic bar Bloody Marys. Its sort of like you can say, "yes I've been there.' The scenic beauty of FP is the real attraction. Its maybe the last unspoiled paradise, esp. the outer islands. If you are interested you can tour the home of the author of Mutiny on the Bounty, James Norman Hall which is in Papeete. He decided to settle in FP and wrote many books about life in the So. Pacific. Also do see the market or "le Marche" in Papeete. Its a major attraction. FP is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen but paradise has a cost. However as a cruiser there you have evened that out quite nicely. To stay on land is a diferent matter. Anyway you'll see. have a great. I know you will and please ask if you have any other questions. Bon voyage! Larry
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks once again Jacketwatch.

Some more great suggestions I shall take on board.

Hmmm "Bloody Mary's" like as in:

"Bloody Mary is the girl I love ..." from the musical? . I loved South Pacific, so I think that's part of my reason for wanting to go to FP though I realise it was not actually filmed there.
Jan 8th, 2009, 06:06 AM

Hmmm. I really don't know and assumed it was related to the libation. If you find out maybe you could let me know. I always have room in my mind for such things. Also I do wonder if those who go to FP are all romantics at heart. After all where better to go. Cheers, Larry
Jan 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM
cd

I would not want to stroll downtown Papeete, it did not look too inviting. However, we did take a 4X4 tour to the interior and it was wonderful! What beauty! Our driver actually drove us over the top of a dam! Snorkeling on Bora Bora was amazing, I have never seen such beauiful waters and tons of stings rays all around. We did have lunch at Bloody Marys. On another island we had a picnic on a Motu that was great but I don't remember which Island we were on, they took us there by boat, we were serinaded by a native band on the boat and on the Motu. The food was very good and the beach a joy!
Jan 27th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks cd.

Have found a tour to join out on lagoon in Bora Bora. 4x4 on Tahiti will keep in mind.