Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Costa Maya, or Progresso, Mexico?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 09:27 AM
mary

We are thinking of taking a Celebrity Horizon cruise this fall and was wondering if anyone has been to Costa Maya or Progresso, Mexico. Don't know much, and can't find any info on these ports. Are they any good and what can you do there? Would be interested in seeing some ruins if they are close by.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:20 AM
mike

Mary,
Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but I was wondering if they are one and the same. I am doing a princess cruise which includes a stop in costa maya, which I couldn't find on a map. There is also merida, which I think is the coastal city near progreso. If they are the same, I think I've some info in travel guides on that area.

Mike

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Mike

Mary,

I just saw the itinerary for my cruise on cruiseshopper.com. It listed the Casta Maya day on the itinerary as Majahual which is on the east coast of the yucatan and not near merida or progreso. It says it "boasts numerous mayan ruins and beautiful beaches."

Mike

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Mary

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I did finally confirm that Progresso and Costa Maya are different locations - Progresso is the port town (meaning nothing but ships and warehouses) to Merida (25 min car ride). and Merida is 2 hours from Chitchen Itza ruins. - FAR. The travel agents don't know much about these locations because they are apparently new ports that have been created this year. We are a little skeptical to be the guinea pigs, but we'll give it a try!!

Thanks again.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 05:05 PM
mike

There's always breakfast lunch and dinner on the ship if it doesn't look good. But I think tulum is half way between cozumel and costa maya, so it might be better to beach in cozomel and tulum ruins in costa maya. I plan on having fun one way or another.

Mike

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 09:26 AM
xxx

Progresso is a port about 1 hour from Merida (which is worth a visit - good museum and some nice colonial architecture). Some Mayan ruins are near Merida (Dzbilchaltun - very nice little museum of Mayan antiquities). There is another Mayan ruin (whose name unfortunately escapes me that is very near Merida. Other Mayan ruins in the vicinity are Chichen Itza (earlier poster is correct about 2 hours from Merida) and as far as I am concerned the best Mayan ruin in the area Uxmal - about 1.5 hours from Merida. Progresso itself is not very interesting but could really use your tourist dollars - so buy a couple of souvenirs. Have a nice trip.