Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Never cruised before - would you choose cruise or resort vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 04:30 PM
Linda

Planning 25th anniversary trip Sept. '01, and trying to choose perfect vacation. What cruise lines would you recommend for: 45ish couple, hubby HATES to dress up, I'm a nicotine addict, need some privacy, appreciate good food and awesome scenery, on a budget. Because of budget, am probably restricted to Alaska/Carribean. Windjammer sounds great, but hubby worried about seasickness. Have also picked out Mexican beach resort and Hawaiian beach bungalow rental - would he be happier with those? Any help greatly appreciated.....

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 06:15 PM
fran

<BR>Linda, <BR>I've done all the trips you mentioned and since you have looked into Windjammer and are familiar with it, I would recommend this very highly. They are great fun and extremely casual. I've taken 9 cruises and my WJ was the smoothest. Even the mega cruise ships can not compare with a sailboat. I believe it has something to do with the wind pressure on the sails and the keel far deep in the water, but not sure. I would recommend Hawaii over Mexico altho it will be much more expensive. A cruise is a good value, Alaska is incredible but for your first cruise I would advise you to go to the Caribbean since you seem to be leaning to a warm destination. Hope this helps, if you would like more detailed info please email me. I leave for China this week but will respond when I return.

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 01:56 AM
Paul Therault

<BR>Dear Linda, <BR> <BR>For your first cruise I would not choose the Winjammer Line. <BR> <BR>Just sail a regular ship to the Caribbean. <BR> <BR>A cruise vacation is the best value, hands down. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 12:55 PM
Parrot Mom

For our 30th wedding anniversary we took our first cruise and found it was a great value for the $... First, your hotel, food, entertainment and varied ports that you traveled to.. We have continued to cruise for 15 years...and although we take land vacations cruising to Bermuda is a favorite vacation.. Since your husband does not like to dress you should look into the casual cruising of NCL...where dressing up in the evneing is optional..

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 08:01 AM
SANDY

Hi Linda, cruise for best value. Most of the newer ships have casual dining now (24 hr)Lots of people go on vacation and don't like getting dressed up, so the 24 hr resturants. Only a few ships have a no smoking policy, but most do not allow smoking in dining and theater area. We are smokers and have no problems, would say Princess or RCL and the new ships are very stable.I think you could do a very good cruise for what a bungalow in Hawaii would cost.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 06:17 AM
Debi

I think there are several ships that you would be very happy with - but based on your choices, I would probably do a Hawaiian rental if the cost was within your budget. Here's my reasoning: I have only been on a couple cruises - I tend to like land alot - but I think cruises are perfect for certain locations - - Alaska being one of those places. But, you mentioned doing research on warmer places, so I figured Alaska wasn't really high on your list. (It's very high on my list - and the next cruise we take will be to Alaska). So, if I had a choice between a resort or cottage on some beautiful island - or a cruise which hops through several, I would personally go with the "stay on one island and really enjoy all of it" philosophy. I've been to Mexico a few times - not sure which resort you're looking at - but some of them are quite nice, and the beaches are beautiful. I LOVED Hawaii, though. It is a long flight - but I think it's so worth it. Also, a cruise would probably be a bit less expensive, so since this is really a special occasion - I would definitely spring for the Hawaii trip.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 07:04 AM
diana

For your first time cruising, DO NOT go on Windjammer. It may be too rocky for you never experiencing sailing. Go on a bigger ship. You can't even tell your on water on a bigger ship. Any of the cruise lines would be good...my favorite is RCCL. The treatment is first class, the food is always there, and you get so much for the money...more than a resort. Try Cruise.com or MyTravelCo.com for a good deal.

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 12:35 PM
aaron

If your husband has a preference and you don't, then go with his desires. If you want privacy, then pick a laid back all inclusive resort. On this board everyone will tell you to cruise because this is where cruisers chat! Have fun!

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 06:58 PM
glenda

I have been on 7 cruises and they are wonderful, value for your money. The caribbean is good to start with and then do Alaska. Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines is my choice, they have great food,great shows. We are 49-50 and we were the youngest on Holland America. If you go to a resort you are limited to one place one thing, where as crusing you can visit lots of ports or stay on ship. Enjoy, I have run a couple of groups and have never had any problems with RCCL. <BR>glenda

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 08:49 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Message for Diana: I have sailed many masted ships. They are not rocky. They are as stable as a large ahip and at times more so. <BR> <BR>The ships sit deeper in the water. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 03:29 AM
Bob

Sorry to have to disagree with Mr. Therault, but my wife and I have done 3 windjammer trips and in rock and roll sea, seasicknes IS a fact of life. If your lucky,like me, and the "motion of the ocean" does not affect you great. Unfortunately I have see some sick puppies. On our 1st trip on the Yankee Clipper only 9 people attempted dinner the first night and only myself and 2 women (I was very proud of them) finished. But the next day things setttled down and the rest of the trip was glory <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 08:11 AM
Linda

RESORT RESORT RESORT -- no contest. People on this board won't agree but a cruise is not all that wonderful. it is not like the Love Boat t.v. show either. You can do much better at a resort and have much more privacy. Rent a car for day trips and enjoy! Hawaii is wonderful for that, I've been many times. A cruise these days consists of a floating hotel full of children running wild in the halls, dining room, etc. ALL cruise lines cater to families, not just Disney and there are lots of kids on the ships. They can manage to spoil a nice dinner by screaming and throwing food in the dining rooms, hogging the pools, etc. Why get all dressed up for formal night to listen to babies wailing? We've traveled a lot and prefer a land based vacation, altho most on this board would disagree. Food on a cruise is mass produced, it can be good or really bad. The days of luxury dining have gone out the window because of mass marketing techniques to fill the ships. Time in port is minimal, go to a lovely resort (Hawaii!!!) and rent a car. Maui is just wonderful for day trips, really great places to eat (with good food),as I said it's no contest, a vacation in Hawaii beats a cruise everytime for me. <BR>Hawaii is really nicer then Mexico I think having been to both many times, altho Mexico has it's own charm too.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 09:48 PM
Louise

I have to disagree with the last poster. I haven't been to Hawaii, which is my next trip planned, but I did not experience any of what Linda just talked about on the ship we were on. As a matter of fact, it was wonderful. We did take our teen kids and they enjoyed it also. It was our first cruise and we already have one planned for the end of this year. I never experienced any unruly kids and especially throwing food in the dining room. We went on the Celebrity Galaxy and I would give it rave reviews. I would recommend you try it. Regardless of which one you choose, have fun.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 10:05 PM
tom

I love cruising but would suggest Hawaii bungalow / condo. Try to find private party rental to save money at a fine resort like Kapalua on Maui. Stayed in 1 bd. golf villa for about 150 - 175 a night. Not right on the beach but has awesome scenery and can walk to best beach in U.S. at Kapalua Bay. Restaurants good and activities galore - golf, snorkeling, tennis, diving, sailing etc. Write if you want specific recommendations.