Explain me this, Regent Cruise.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we booked for an upcoming cruise, we requested a business class upgrade on the air to/from. We were told that they were not booking those yet, but would be alerted when they became available. Since we didn't hear for a long time and cruise date is quickly approaching, we called them only to be told there were none available, all were already booked. Since we booked many months ahead, can't understand this policy, but don't know whom to be mad at or take issue with???
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Do you have a travel agent?
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:31 AM

You booked air through the cruise company? I wonder how much it costs.

I called RCCL to inquire if I can book my air with them, the price was $329. I made Southwest reservations, with taxes and all, $116. Even with the RCCL shuttle $52 I still saved $161 and picked the most convenient flights.

As for your problem, I would definitely called the cruise company, at least to get some financial reimbursement, maybe they will give you credit to spend on the cruise.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:38 AM

I don't understand your question.

Are you angry that you did not receive a complimentary upgrade from the airline? What entitles you to that? Did you have mileage you wanted to use for the upgrade? Did you ever call the airline to request it?

Please advise.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Arizona...We booked this cruise about 5 months ago and told them we were interested in getting (paying for) the aupgrade to business which they offer in their brochure. We were told that they hadn't made air arrangements on any level, and when the business class seats became available we would be notified. Thus, we did nothing more. Last week, after not hearing, we called the Regent co, and were told that there were no more businessa seats, they had all been assigned. I can't understand this scene at all. Either they had some or they didn't, and if their policy was to alert cruisers who requested them when they became available, they shouls have called us. As it turns our, we will go a day or so early, thus getting a comfortable seat, but I will be hesitant in the future to believe anything an agent says over the phone.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:16 PM

clarasong,

It is highly recommended to book any cruise, especially high end cruises thru a reputable and/or cruise only travel agent. They more than likely would have kept on top of Regent by checking with them a few times a week regarding your business class airfare. When you go direct with the cruise line you cannot receive special group rates, shipboard credits, and the like and you deal with a different, paid by the hour, reservation agent with every call.

They have no incentive to stay on top of your booking. I hope you will find yourself a good agent for next time. The better repour you have with an agent the better your service. They generally work on commission and have vested interest in you and your travel.

Cruise lines absolutely prefer you go thru an agent too. It cost them less for an agent to handle a booking than to pay staff hourly wages, some benefits etc. And, it helps with issues like what happened to you. Most cruise lines will even refer you to a preferred agent if you just ask.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM

" I will be hesitant in the future to believe anything an agent says over the phone " - the most correct approach!

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

connette: I am absolutely sure you are right, and thanks for the thought. I guess as much as we have travelled,we were being naive. But our very worth travel agent retired last year, and we haven't found a good one yet.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 02:42 AM

Contact Brown&Keene travel. They book a tremendous number of Regent cruises and know Regent's policies and idiosyncrasies inside and out. We have never had a problem. Check out their Web site at brownandkeenetravel.com. Look at their fares. I highly recommend Linda Litteken at B&K. We've just booked our 5th cruise with them, which will be in Asia this fall. If you'd like more information about our experiences, contact me at [email protected].
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dreps. We have now got the seats we wanted, albeit we must go a day earlier to get them! (no thanks to Regent).
Used an agent thru AMEX. I guess one more day in Tahiti won't kill us (ha). We have been on the Paul Gauguin before and enjoyed it so much; that is the reason we are trying it again. Hope there won't be any more 'blips' or degrades in the service, which was marvelous. Will save the info you sent and may contact you personally, when we get a bit closer.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 03:42 AM

This is a time when a real travel agent is needed (someone with an invested interest in your travel needs) - not just an order taker over the phone.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 06:06 AM
drb

After a few calls, just booked the Regency Mariner to Alaska this summer. A good travel agent has probably seen most of the ships personally and is the only way to go-you won't save any money and won't have to re-invent the wheel by trying to do it yourself. A good agent will work with your airline credits, mileage programs, etc. Ours even found the same accomodations in Anchorage and transfers to the ship for much less than Regent wanted
Reg
Old Aug 1st, 2014, 08:44 PM

SanFran topped a seven year old cruise to propose a particular travel agent