Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Any good deals in Nassau? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/any-good-deals-in-nassau-213475/)

johnj Dec 7th, 2001 10:46 AM

Any good deals in Nassau?

The lasttime I was in Nassau I thought that it was a rip off. I noticed that the alcohol was average price but the jewelry was quite expensive from Caribbean standards. I had plenty of dollars to spend, but I discovered that I could get better prices elsewhere.<BR><BR>Are there ANY good deals in Nassau?<BR><BR>Please don't even mention those crappy straw purses that some tourists buy and then toss in their closets when they return home.

tina S Dec 7th, 2001 10:47 AM

No. Nassau is a rip off. Not a single good deal to be had.

James Gonzalez Dec 10th, 2001 04:07 AM

Nassau is a rip-off. No good deals. Spend you money elsewhere.

Carlos Dec 11th, 2001 03:42 AM

Wow. All of the cruise ships that go from Florida to Nassau, and not a single person has said anything positive about Nassau prices in 4 days! Is this board dead, or is Nassau really such a rip-off?<BR><BR>Makes me think twice about even going.

Theresa Dec 15th, 2001 05:38 PM

Just got back from a cruise that stopped in Nassau.<BR><BR>Went to Atlantis resort and enjoyed the tour.<BR><BR>I thought the shopping was a ripoff. The port also wasn't very clean.<BR><BR>If I was to go again - I would just go to a beach or snorkle.

joyce Dec 15th, 2001 08:50 PM

Nassau has no shopping deals. Last several cruise that stopped there I have stayed on the ship.<BR>Atlantis is Beautiful to walk around.<BR>Marriot has a great pool area.<BR>

Gerry Dec 16th, 2001 10:35 AM

Two years ago was in Nassau and four of us took taxi over to Atlantis Resort cost; $4.00 for the four of us. Last March,$4.00 for each of us. Questioned driver about cost. He asks "when were you here,1910?" Next time I'll enjoy the day on the ship or go to a beach.

snorkelman Dec 17th, 2001 08:40 AM

i returned from a cruise to nassau 2 days ago. Yes, taxi to atlantis is $4.00 per person.<BR><BR>Jewelry was generally a rip off. I did find decent prices on some select liquor. Finlandia vodka was $9.10 for a liter (no tax) and absolute was about $10 - $12/liter. Bacardi rum (light or dark) could be found for $8/liter. All of these prices are better than the USA, but it is possible to get these things cheaper on some other islands (The best price I found on St. Thomas for 1 liter absolute was $6.50.)<BR>

cruiser bruiser Dec 17th, 2001 09:39 AM

Nassau is still cleaning up from the recent hurricane and fire in the straw market.<BR><BR>It's pretty dirty in town now. Didn't used to be that way. Little too scruffy for my tastes.

Paul Therault Dec 18th, 2001 01:39 AM

Nassau is unique. Most cruise passengers just window-shop and buy souveniers. Granted it is not the cleanest of towns but why pick on Nassau, there are many islands that are just as bad if not worse.<BR><BR>Granted St. Thomas has Havensight which is just a strip mall, but if you go into town (which there is a charge for transportation) it is also not clean. <BR><BR>As far as buying jewelry I do not think it is such a good idea. You do not know what the true value is. Cheap trinkets, yes, but not fine jewelry. If you go to an honored chain, such as Little Switzerland you will pay more, or as much as, what you would pay in the U.S. You will see passengers buying Rolex watches and think they are getting a deal but no store can sell them at a disount or they will lose their contract. You will save the U.S. sales taxes but you would be stuck for service.<BR><BR>Paul

Bette Ann Dec 19th, 2001 03:31 PM

We hated Nassau.( just got back) There were no deals, and the jewelry was a rip-off. The atlantis is beautiful, but not to take a special trip to Nassau for, that's for sure. 225$ is about the cheapeat room. Pick another place, and have a great time.

vita Dec 19th, 2001 03:40 PM

Went to Sandals Royal Bahamian a few months ago. The resort was fantastic... excellent food, wonderful service and absolutly beautiful grounds! Nassau wasn't that great- outside of the resort-- but i absolutly loved where we stayed!

Sara Dec 30th, 2001 12:40 PM

Next time I go to Nassau - I will stay on the ship. The town is very dirty.