Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > Any advice for Canival Cruise to Southern Caribbean In Late March 2004?

Any advice for Canival Cruise to Southern Caribbean In Late March 2004?

Jan 9th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Any advice for Canival Cruise to Southern Caribbean In Late March 2004?

We're a couple and looking to go on a Carnival Southern Caribbean Cruise out of San Juan at the end of March 2004. We would appreciate any comments/suggestions about this cruise especially, the ship itself, the service, food, cleanliness, kids, etc. Thanks.
Jan 9th, 2004, 07:33 PM

What ship and whar ports please?
Jan 10th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Carnival Destiny leaving out of San Juan, P.R. Thanks
Jan 10th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Ports: St. Thomas, St.Lucia, Barbados & Aruba.
Jan 10th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Except for Martinique instead of St. Lucia (lucky you!) we took that cruise with that same boat last summer. As for the boat there was no problem with service, cleanliness, etc. The food was outstanding. For example we had Chateaubriand, filet, beef Wellington, prime rib, lobster, etc. And the appetizers and desserts were simply outstanding. Interestingly I was watching the travel channel and the same chef we had was being interviewed about how he goes about his business. His name is Perreria or something like that so if he is still on your ship you will be in great hands. Kids were not an issue as the Destiny, like most boats has child activities. There was a reggae band on board as well. Do be careful about pictures. They take alot of pics and if you get them all it will be hundreds of dollars. As for the amenities there are plently or bars (even had a jazz club and karaoke bar) and lounges. You won't get bored. There is a wide variety of food and in addition to the usual buffet lunch there is a NY style deli, pizza, burgers, Chinese food and so on. The shows were so so. The entertainment director, Jorge is a riot but the productions were better on RC. (the food on Ca., though was alot better). As for the ports I would advise to NOT take any cruise sponsored excursions. Do some homework and find what interests you. when you get off the boat there will be plenty of cabbies and/or tour operators and thus will be much less than what the boat offers and private as well. In Barbados a must see is Harrisons cave and as for Aruba do see the natural bridge and the Kasibari rock formation. You will be in duty free ports so look out for your wallet! Actually Columbian Emeralds has a deal where you can get 3-6 mos. int. free to pay. Any other qiestions please let me know. Bon voyage, Larry. PS the ride from the airport to the pier took a while(lots of traffic) so allow plenty of time. And have you considered spending time in PR as well? It is very nice with alot to see.
Jan 10th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply Larry, we will definitely follow your suggestions. Since you mentioned it, do you have any recommendations for a nice hotel in Puerto Rico that we could stay for 1 night only (the day before the cruise). Probably somewhere near to where the cruise will leave. Thanks again.
Jan 10th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Sure. We stayed at the ESJ towers which is next to the flagship El San Juan Hotel. Its a condo type property and is on the beach and has a balcony. It is in Isla Verde which is close to both the airport and the pier. Anything else just let me know. Otherwise bon voyage! Cheers, Larry
Jan 11th, 2004, 07:05 AM

I can only say in St. Lucia last year we took a tour of the Island. They were jungletoursstlucia.com they were great. The tour was fun, and a highlight of the cruise. I would recommend doing that while in St. Lucia.
Jan 13th, 2004, 08:45 PM

I thought the Destiny was going to Dominica, and not St. Lucia.
Jan 19th, 2004, 01:32 PM

We went to Aruba on a different line, but I think they are all basically the same. We had a ball taking a tour that had us driving 4X4s all over the island, going to their own island for lunch & snorkeling. Can't remember the name, but it was a cruise sponsered excursion that lasted the whole day.
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:33 PM

In St. Thomas if you'll ask anywhere in the shopping area for a guide named Roy...he's about 55 beginning to gray...you won't be sorry..our family has been in St. thomas 3 times and everytime the kids make us find Roy...he is entertaining!!

Search this Thread