Antarctica-Layers of Clothing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, sailing is about 2 months away (yeah) and I'm a bit confused on the clothing layering system. I'm not sure If I need the down-filled AND waterproof/windproof jacket the Lexgear website is recommending. Please HELP

This is what I have so far:
Baselayer: Icebreaker camisole, 150g weight merino wool
Baselayer: Icebreaker Long Sleeve Crew, 260g weight
Mid-Layer: Icebreaker fleece-lined hooded zip jacket , 260g weight

Question??: Do I need a Down-filled sweater as a layer between mid-layer and Parka?

Do I need the waterproof/windproof jacket for the ship or just walking around Ushuaia?

If I stay on the ship deck for extended periods of time, am I allowed access to the Parka or is it always stored in the mudroom for water landings

I have a very light-weight fleece jacket but un-sure if I should take it or purchase the down-filled jacket. The down jacket is highly compressible and if needed, I can just wear it on the plane. Trying to limit my luggage to just (1) soft side duffle and camera bag. I rarely check luggage.

Thanks
Robin
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 07:26 AM

Hi Robin,

If I remember right, you are going on the NatGeo Explorer. A parka is supplied. It does have a fluffy liner jacket that is removable. The parka is in your room and you will have time to exchange it if it is the wrong size. The only thing I left in the mud room were my boots and walking stick. Other then our first landing we had wonderful weather and I wore my parka, fleece shirt and long underwear. I am not sure that I would want a layer with another hood. When in the zodiac going to shore and on rides you have to wear your life jacket. Once on shore you can take you life jacket off. When out on deck I would just wear a longsleeve t-shirt (sometimes with long underware under it) under the parka and jeans. If it became very cold I would just go to my room and put another shirt on.

I did have a rain jacket when I flew down, so I used it in Ushuaia but never on the boat. When I traveled back home, I wore my rain jacket on the plane but a lot of the other people wore their parkas, so they didn't have to pack them.

Julie
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 08:59 AM

You'll want to be prepared for all kinds of weather in Ushuaia. In just one day, we experienced everything from sunshine and warm temps, to hail, to snow, to rain ... all in short spurts. Since Quark was providing the parkas, we took a waterproof rain jacket and layered with fleece pullovers and silk mocks (smart wool or silk underwear as an additional layer if necessary). We were plenty warm. Lightweight gloves and a wool cap also came in handy while we were wandering around (spent 3 days there before our cruise). We were lucky with our weather during the cruise, and there were times when we used our own rain jacket and layers on the outside decks in lieu of the parka.
Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Julie,
Thank you for your response. Yes, I am traveling on the NatGeo Explorer. Based on your response I don't think it will be necessary to purchase the additional down sweater layer, especially since I will always have access to the parka in my cabin. I'll bring a cashmere sweater and use the neck gaiter in the event I need an extra layer when out on the deck. I understand they keep the enclosed areas on the ship pretty toasty. I'll be one of the folks wearing the parka on the airplane--there is no way it will fit into my duffle bag.

eenusa,
Wow! I had no idea one could experience such a variety of weather events in a single day. My itinerary only includes a short period of time in Ushuaia--we leave BA in the morning, arrive in time to have lunch on a catamaran and maybe walk around for a short period before boarding..not a lot of time for sightseeing; however, I think there will be additional time on the back end of the trip to sightsee before departing to BA. I'll definitely make sure I have my windproof/waterproof jacket and an extra silk layer. I hope I experience good weather on this journey.

Your responses have been a tremendous help. I am so excited!

Countdown: 2 Months, 5 Days!