alternatives to Windstar?

Mar 1st, 2001, 02:32 PM
cj

alternatives to Windstar?

I am looking into a mediterranean cruise for my husband and I next summer. The windstar atmosphere (relaxed, closer to the water) seems ideal to me, because I've never been very excited about a typical cruise experience. The problem is it's out of our price range. Does anyone know of a similar small-boat cruise line that is less luxurious and therefore less expensive?
Thanks!
Chrissy

ps - we may also be interested in a similar trip to the caribbean (we love to snorkle!)

Mar 3rd, 2001, 12:17 AM
Surlok

Why not the Clippers? They are much cheaper than Windstar ships, and they are small too, although as you can imagine, less sophisticated.

Mar 3rd, 2001, 08:00 AM
Jim

We have sailed on Windstar twice and had wonderful experiences both times. We like the smaller, more intimate ships. We have also sailed on many of the large ships and always have a good time but there is a certain herding mentality that you just have to accept. A year ago we had a deal that sounded too good to be true from Renaissance to sail fro Barcelona to Lisbon. I was a little skeptical but we went. It was a fabuloous trip. One of the very best that we have ever taken. The ships hold about 650 passengers, are only a year to three years old, beautifully decorated, the crew was great, and you don't feel herded. It is usually pretty quiet on board once the shows are over, but that is what we like. We liked Renaissance so much that we currently have two more cruises booked with them.

Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:50 PM
michele williams

Jim, what time of the yeard did you take the Barcelona Renaissance Trip.

M

Mar 6th, 2001, 05:48 PM
sandy

Star Clippers, Star Clippers, Star Clippers.

Star Clippers has 3 ships in the med in the summer: Royal Clipper, their newest, which holds about 300 passengers, Star Clipper - 170, and Star Flyer - 170. Star Flyer does the Greek Isles and Turkey round trip form Athens, and the other 2 are in the W. Mediterranean. I've been on them twice and loved it . These are true sailing ships with auxiliary engines, whereas Windstar is motorized with auxiliary sails. Also more dressy -- they call it "casual elegance." Visit the web site: www.starclippers.com.