Search

Alaskan cruise

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 09:33 PM
marg

Alaskan cruise

We'd love to do a cruise to Alaska - just been looking at a Holland America brochure for cruises next May. The major problem is that my husband gets seasick very easily. Would we be silly to do a cruise? I know a lot of the voyage is in the Inside Passage but a certain percentage is in open sea. Would really appreciate some comments.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 07:57 AM
Jana

I have been on 2 Alaskan cruises and on each one there has been 1 day that it was a little rough. I've never needed any medication but other people have. You might try a short 3 day cruise and try out the different sea sick remedies. I have used seabands and dramamine in the past. If you choose to use ginger, I understand that you must start taking it prior to the cruise.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 12:44 PM
Kelli

I also have a very queezy stomach-can't ride in the backseat of cars, small boats are pretty iffy, can't even look at a merry-go-round go around. I've taken only 3 cruises and been pretty lucky, just one choppy (not rough) sea. I use Meclizine also known as Bonnine and it doesn't make me sleepy. There are also perscription patches called trans derm scop. One cruise was the inside passage, it was a blast, would do it again in a heartbeat-we used Princess but I doubt there's much difference.Hope things work out.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 05:20 PM
Dawn

I've taken 2 inside passage cruises - one in May and one in Sept- both on Holland America. Although I never get sea-sick, the Sept. one had a table mate that felt some sickness one day. But she took medication ( I don't know what) and never missed a meal. The inside passage is really quite smooth. And you'll love Holland America! Let us know what you decide.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 04:36 PM
Debi

Marg, we recently took our first cruise together, and I get violently seasick. I got the transderm patch - highly recommend it. I've used it on two cruises and never had a problem - and I can get seasick sitting on the beach! I've tried the other things mentioned, but my problem is an inner ear issue and nothing has ever worked except the patch. We discussed this issue - but I'm glad we went. We went to the Mediterranean - but our next cruise is going to be to Alaska. Get the patch - and have a great time!!