Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Alaska with Glacier Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/alaska-with-glacier-bay-568966/)

jfreides923 Nov 5th, 2005 11:22 AM

Alaska with Glacier Bay

Help! We're thinking about cruising Alaska this summer. I've found only two cruise lines (we want a big ship) that actually go into Glacier Bay -- HAL and Princess. From what I've heard, both are geared more toward the 50+ crowd. My husband and I are both in our 30s. This will probably be our only trip to Alaska. So, the question is whether we should go with the itinerary we really want and deal with a more laid back ship or pick a different itinerary. Any opinions would be welcome. Thanks.

J

maryann Nov 5th, 2005 01:20 PM

People in their 30's shouldn't think that any trip is their only trip to a certain location !! Many years and chances ahead.

Take the HAL ship, much better cruiseline. and any ship with Glacier Bay is the preferred itinerary. Many more age groups in the summer than in Spring or Fall. Don't worry about it just have fun. We loved AK so much that we are going back only 2 yrs. later.

swtjen7 Nov 8th, 2005 05:51 AM

We did the Alaska cruise last year in May on Princess--and it was unbelievable! The age group varied from the 30's to the 60's which was not a problem for us since we can usually get along well with everyone. If anyone ever takes a cruise--this is the one they should do. The scenery is out of this world!

luckymeluckyme Nov 9th, 2005 01:21 PM

If you want to see Alaska up close and personal, go with Lindblad Excursions. We have sailed on HAL twice in Alaska and once on Lindblad. HAL is like staying in a huge hotel, Lindblad is like staying at someone's home who also takes you around to see the sights.

Theresa Nov 9th, 2005 04:38 PM

While I would love to try Lindblad, my budget doesn't allow it.

I think you can't go wrong between Princess and HAL- both have great reputations in Alaska. I have done Princess 5x to Alaska and IMO - it has a great itinerary (both Glacier Bay and College Fiords).

BTW - I am 35 and love Princess. I have never felt out of place on Princess (have been sailing Princess since my 20's).

The Coral and Island Princess would be my top picks for ships.

BudgetQueen Nov 11th, 2005 05:20 AM

For Glacier Bay there is also Carnival in May and Sept. to consider as well as some NCL sailings. Are you looking at a one way?? My opinion only, I don't do those unless I'm investing at least another week for some excellent interior touring- take advantage of being there. :)

Especially in Alaska look at what is outside the ship and put less priority on fellow passengers. Overall all lines will have the majority of passenges middle aged and above, INCLUDING Carnival. :)

Londonlover Nov 12th, 2005 08:13 PM

I would take College Fjord or Hubbard Glacier over Glacier Bay anyday. The cruiselines that go to Glacier Bay seem to market it because since it's a national park, it better than the alternatives. I couldn't disagree more

BudgetQueen Nov 13th, 2005 04:39 AM

I have been to all glacier areas sailed by the cruise ships, plus many more via flights, boat trips and walking. Glacier Bay is the top cruise sailing choice for me.

London- you are definately in the minority with your preferences. :)

jcasale Nov 13th, 2005 03:00 PM

We did Princess cruises into Glacier Bay a couple of years ago and loved it. My experience has generally been that there is a huge range of ages on cruises. We hung out in the hot tubs in the evening before dinner and were definitely the oldest people there (we're in our late 40's early 50's). IMHO you should go with the itinerary you really want. You will have a great time.

mnmfischel Nov 13th, 2005 06:21 PM

We're 32 and outdoorsy people, not really "cruise" people. We took Pricess then stayed for 7 more days. Loved it! We saw whales from the ship etc. Honestly, it wasn't a "party" ship, but in alaska, that's not really the syle anyway...

katybird Nov 14th, 2005 04:59 AM

NCL Star is also going to Glacier BAy out of Seattle. The drawbacks are more open ocean sailing, no naturalist onboard. On the plus side NCL offers freestyle dining and good pricing. NCL is very laid back with no need to dress formally for dinner. We sailed the NCL Dream in Sept. to Alaska [Hubbard] and it was a spectacular trip. I DO wish there had been a naturalist onboard.
We are hoping to sail Alaska again in 2006..probably on Princess or HA this time for Glacier Bay.