Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Alaska trip after my mother in laws chemo treatment. Need help from Alaskan cruise experts please!

Alaska trip after my mother in laws chemo treatment. Need help from Alaskan cruise experts please!

Nov 19th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Suzanne

My mother in law will be finished with chemo in February and we wanted to take her and her husband somewhere real special in July.

We were thinking about an Alaskan cruise (inside passage from Vancouver).

We also wanted a balcany because this is a cruise of a lifetime. It is quite expensive and my husband and I will be paying for 100% of it.

Is a balcany imperitive? We will be viewing glaciers 3 of the 7 days. I think it is important.

Also, can anyone recommend a great cruise operator or a specific cruise for Alaska. We are open other than inside passage only. I just thought that it might be cheaper this way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My mother in law is 63 & her husband is 74.

Thanks so much.

Suzanne

Nov 19th, 2002, 12:17 PM
traveler

Suzanne,
I can't speak from first hand experience, as we have never been fortunate enough to have a balcony, but I can tell you that a friend of mind is handicapped and they had a balcony when they did the Alaskan cruise last summer. It worked very well for them,as they didn't have to rush up to one of the decks for sightseeing. If she didn't feel like going out, she could just sit and relax on their deck and enjoy the scenery, read or whatever.
If your Mother in Law is not feeling well, or just tired or something she won't miss out. She can enjoy the sights and room service.

Nov 19th, 2002, 12:46 PM
ParrotMom

When choosing a ship I would stay away from any mega ships, because there would be alot of walking for her...and if she is still weak...how about the idea of a wheel chair... A balcony would be ideal..I'd recommend you start shopping over the internet. Being pampered and waited on will be a real treat for her. BTW 63 is not old....lol

Nov 19th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Fanci

If your mother in law is in remission by July, and has completed her chemo in February, she probably will feel well enough for normal activities. [I an a nurse practitioner.]

Balconies are great for everyone, and will add to your enjoyment of the trip. By all means, get one if you can afford it. Don't forget your binoculars...much to see on shore.

Nov 19th, 2002, 02:59 PM
suzanne

Thank you for all the replies.

And oh Parrot Mom...I do not think 63 is old.

I've gotten alot of info from you in the past, you give such wonderful advice.

Thanks

Nov 19th, 2002, 03:35 PM
xxx

I have never been on an Alaskan Cruise but quite a few people have told me it is wonderful. I think it is a good choice. I have been on several Caribbean cruises and many have said they liked the Alaskan cruise the best. I think it is a nice decision, and one she will enjoy very much. I would also go for the balcony. Make it as special as you can for her.

Nov 19th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Ginger

A balcony with a view of ocean might be a bit "boring"--request a shore side room, usually the first to be booked for obvious reasons. How very kind of you and your husband!

Nov 19th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Theresa

FYI - there are a couple of inside passage sailings from Seattle also.

We sailed last year on Radiance and had a balcony cabin. It was cold our week and as much as I tried to sit outside with blankets and hot chocolate to just watch the scenary, I froze. I did go outside several times to take pictures and to experience Hubbard Glacier from our balcony.

After saying that we didn't use balcony that much, I booked another cruise to Alaska next summer and booked a balcony again. I really hope to have warmer weather this next trip.

Nov 19th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Lew

Most of the Alaskan cruises are in the "inside passage" between the mainland and the barrier islands...something like going up a river. And plenty to see on both sides. Therefore, there is NO ocean side.

As to cold, not in July. Maybe cool, maybe huge mosquitoes...but not cold.

Nov 20th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Theresa

Make sure you bring "cold weather items"

We sailed in July.

I would say 1/3 of the people on our ship bought heavier jackets from the cruiseline. It was COLD and WET.

Weather can be unpredicatable - you can have a beautifuil week or a cold week. Be prepared for both.

Nov 21st, 2002, 12:12 AM
Paull Therault

I'll bet that those that live in the southern part of the U.S. will freeze in Alaska even in July and the first part of August but the people that live in the northern hemisphere would think it is comfortable in short sleeves and shorts.

In any event wouldn't a balcony be ideal since you can run in an out of your cabin if you feel cold? Much better than being out on deck.
Also you shouldn't get wet on your balcony if the wind is not blowing and the balcony is large enough.

Paul

Nov 21st, 2002, 03:38 AM
Paul

Paul,

I do not live in Southern USA - I live in Midwest and am used to the cold.

It was cold. We had highs of 40s with rain and high cold winds. It felt like 30's Those who did not bring winter jackets, bought them on the ship. Most were wearing gloves, scarves and hats outside.

Nobody was wearing shorts or long sleaves. Jackets were necessary!

No matter when you go, be prepared for cold weather also. We were told that it was unusual to have the weather that we did. We had heard that May had been warmer then July.

Weather can go either way in Alaska - be prepared for both.

Nov 21st, 2002, 03:38 AM
theresa

Paul,

I do not live in Southern USA - I live in Midwest and am used to the cold.

It was cold. We had highs of 40s with rain and high cold winds. It felt like 30's Those who did not bring winter jackets, bought them on the ship. Most were wearing gloves, scarves and hats outside.

Nobody was wearing shorts or long sleaves. Jackets were necessary!

No matter when you go, be prepared for cold weather also. We were told that it was unusual to have the weather that we did. We had heard that May had been warmer then July.

Weather can go either way in Alaska - be prepared for both.

Nov 21st, 2002, 04:12 AM
Karen

To Paul,

I am not sure what your Alaska experience (if any) is like but it didn't match mine.

We sailed inside passage last July and I can verify that weathers can be very chilly. I am from Minnesota and know what "cold is".

Our ship sold out of winter jackets they were selling.

I was prepared but wished I had brought my ear muffs. Only one day did I get away without wearing my heavy jacket.

I love Alaska and am sailing it again but will bring clothes for all climates. I agree that it can be warm or cold.

Nov 21st, 2002, 04:28 AM
Parrot Mom

With the assumption that an Alaska cruise is the "be all and end all" Suzanne.....would your mother in law prefer a warmer climate cruise? Cruises to Hawaii or any other warm climate may be more comfortable for her.. Have you thought about a cruise to Bermuda from NYC or even Boston...Would be delighted to tell you about Bermuda....these cruises have several days at sea and days in Bermuda which is charming andwould not require her to bring heavy clothes, etc.

Nov 21st, 2002, 05:22 PM
Sara

We cruised last year in August.

They said the temp reached 50 degrees while we were there but it was a cold 50 degrees. I didn't need my winter jacket but constantly wore a sweatshirt and a windbreaker. Gloves were worn 2 of the days.

Definitely no shorts the week we sailed. I wished I could have worn shorts, I brought several pairs.