Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Alaska shore excursions (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/alaska-shore-excursions-125672/)

Paige May 23rd, 2001 06:22 AM

Alaska shore excursions

We leave on June 8th on Mercury. I need some suggestions on the shore excursions. I have printed out the shore excursion descriptions from the Celebrity web site. <BR> <BR>Everyone highly recommends the helicopter and/or float plane tours, however, at over $200.00 per person it seems too expensive for a family of three. What other shore excursions are worth the time and money? We are a couple in the 40-50 age group with our 13 year old daughter. The hiking and biking look interesting to me. What about the Kayaking?

Gail May 24th, 2001 02:34 PM

The glacier flights are expensive, but they are worth every penny. Just incredible.

Sharon May 25th, 2001 02:58 PM

I agree with the above message that the flight tour is worth every penny. I chose the one where we landed on a glacier and were able to walk about. Awesome!! Of course, I was responsible for only myself. I did Alaska in '96 on the HAL and did most of my tour excursion in Juneau as we were in port there the longest. About 7 or 8 months ahead of time, I bought Fodor's travel guide book on cruising Alaska; TREMENDOUS HELP!! It has maps of each port and gives great advice on excursions that you may do on your own. I NEVER take a cruise without reading and re-reading about every port. I think there is a ship excursion to Mendenhall Glacier (w/o flight) that is very economical. Although if I had gone to Mendenhall, I would have just followed Fodor's advice and done it on my own as it is not very far from town. The best advice I can give you is to READ as much as you. <BR> <BR>Sharon

lcuy May 26th, 2001 11:21 PM

We did only one excursion..the helicopter ride to the glacier in Juneau. bought the ticket on the dock, and got a very discounted price for 3 of us. worth every penny. other than that, we walked and explored the towns on our own. All are tiny and very walkable. Fodors book was good for us too.

neviboy May 27th, 2001 03:41 AM

Excellent answers. I would add the cog railway ride in Skagway. Buy tickets at the dock. I also took the seaplane ride. <BR>Magnificent. And like the helicopter, worth every penny. I enjoy about 6 months of reading and planning. That's so enjoyable and one can pick spots according to tastes. <BR>neviboy

Paige May 27th, 2001 05:50 AM

Since post I have done some research. Have rented a car in Skagway. Was told the highway follows the train track and you can stop for pics wherever you want. <BR> <BR>Still debating on the helicopter/float plane. Looking into Island Wings in Ketchikan for float plane to Misty Fjords at cost of $179.00 each. <BR> <BR>Lcuy - do you remember the name of the tour company you did the helicopter in Juneau with? What is reasonable? Less than $150.00 per person? Did you land on glacier and walk around? When did you cruise? <BR> <BR>Thanks for all the good advice!

Gail May 27th, 2001 09:20 AM

Paige, <BR> The float plane at Misty Fjords can't compare to the glacier flights (we did both).In my opinion, your money would be better spent on something other than the Misty Fjord flight.

lcuy May 28th, 2001 03:21 PM

Paige...I'm at my office today, but I'll look up the info on our helicopter ride tonight!

Mary May 29th, 2001 09:28 PM

Last May, we had a fabulous cruise on the "Mercury" -and took their ERA helicopter tour in Juneau where we landed on a glacier and then took a dog sled ride. Then, in the afternoon, we took a Wings float plane to Taku Glacier Lodge. Both trips were pricey through Celebrity however they were both "once in a lifetime" experience and worth every penny. Besides, the way to see Alaska is to get out into the back country and see the glaciers and meet the people.It truly is the last frontier in America. If I had to pick one (and this would be hard) I'd pick the helicopter tour with ERA. Have fun!

Sharon May 30th, 2001 10:20 AM

Paige, I have also looked through my scrapbooks and I cannot find the name of the flightseeing tour company. I usually always keep business cards along with my pictures but apparently I have misplaced this one. I did buy my ticket at the dock and I paid less than $200 (I can't remember the exact amount) and it included walking on the glacier. I don't know if there is more than one tour company at the booth or not.

Ginger May 30th, 2001 04:16 PM

I agree with Gail, if it comes to a choice, the helicopter over the float plane without a doubt. We did both and I'd do the helicopter again!