Alaska Excursion

Feb 19th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Alaska Excursion

We're cruising in June and are interested in Alaska excursions. We're both active people that enjoy walking, hiking and biking. Are there rafting adventures? Is there good horseback riding? What about the helicopter or seaplane excursions?
We welcome your expertise - thanks!
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:40 PM

After all that walking, hiking, biking, and rafting, you might enjoy a great meal. If so, try the Salmon Bake at the Taeku River Lodge. Take a floatplane over the glaciers from Juno. Work up an appetite walking thru the forest. Watch out for the bears. Then head back to the lodge for a great meal.
One of the best excursions we were on.
Feb 19th, 2008, 12:52 PM

I don't know which is worse...my memory or my spelling. The place is the Taku Lodge. Check it out at...

http://www.wingsairways.com/taku-lod...er-flight.html
Feb 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM

We took a cruise on Celebrity. And in Skagway, we did a really cool excursion that might interest you. We took a train ride up a mountain on the White Pass/Yukon Route Train. It follows the same path that the gold miners took during the Yukon Gold Rush. The train takes you all the way up into Canada. We then hopped onto bikes and biked 15 miles down a mountain. Although most of it was downhill on a paved trail/road, there are a few small hills you have to bike up. But seeing the mountain and scenery that way was absolutely priceless! And the best part was we actually had to bike back over the border and through customs. So you have to bring your passport, and they are always glad to stamp it for you!
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Great tips JimM and Kimulonimbus- we'll be sure to eat at Salmon Bate on the Taku river and take the train to the White Pass.
Thank you so much!

Feb 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Sorry JimM - my fingers aren't working well - salmon bake...
Anyway - thanks for the tips! We love the advise! Thanks a heap!!!
Feb 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM

We too took the WP RR ride and the views are indeed amazing. You also get to hear some neat history during the ride as well. We took the helicopter ride to Mendenhall and actually landed on it. I'll remember that as long as I live. Have fun. Larry
Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:58 AM

Tram- you might enjoy hiking the loop trail near the Mendenhall Glacier as we did- it's a short bus ride outside of Juneau. And best of all, it doesn't cost a thing.

Bloom
Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM

The train is great; don't miss it. In Juneau we did a wonderful whale watch, with a number of sightings and absolutely breathtaking scenery.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:46 PM

I have done a lot of flightseeing in Alaska and I do give an edge to a glacier helicopter landing.

The only horseback riding that gets consistant excellent reviews is Joni's out of Carcross - via Skagway.

For seaplanes, I prefer Misty Fjords over Taku Glacier.