Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Alaska Cruise ~We're on a "wait list" What are the chances of a cancellation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 2 couples taking our first cruise/vacation to Alaska.

For the date that we wanted (June 13th) the Sun Princess headed south out of Whittier, has no balcony rooms on the port side available. (I think it was the port side; It was the left side headed south???)

There were other ships but there is no availability on these either).

Our travel agent (a family friend) has put us on a "wait list" for the Sun Princess.

Any comments or experiences with "wait lists" and the possibility of a cancellation or should we just plan on doing this trip next year.

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 04:55 AM

Can't answer the wait list questions, but regarding which side-is-which. If you are standing on the deck of ship and facing the bow (the front of the ship)... to the left is the Port side and to the right is Starboard.
A little trick is to use the line "we left port" ... port is the left side of the ship.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 04:10 AM

Where are you on the wait list??? Are balconies available on starboard? Or is the ship full??? If you have to go this week then I would accept any available cabin, But with going one way- I strongly encourage you to add a week prior and tour interior, especially if you haven't been there- far more wildlife opportunities via Denali Park than the whole of your cruise. If looking at an add on princess tour- plan on at least a week additional. Take advantage of being all the way there.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 07:04 AM

I'm a little surprised nobody else has answered your question given all the self-procalimed "experts" out there.

If you are going to get moved off the waitlist at all the best possibility will be on the date when the cancellation penalties kick in..in other words, the final payment date when people can still opt out and get all their money back. Usually it is anywhere from 60 to 90 days out from the sailing date.

THAT is when there will be the highest number of cancellations..or just prior to that..and I suspect if you don't hear anything from your TA/cruise line shortly thereafter your chances of getting aboard have dropped WAAAAAAAY down.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Intrepid are you one of the "self proclaimed" experts or just a curt snob?
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses.
No, the ship wasn't full, nor were the starboard balconies booked but we wanted to be on the port side for the best scenery. I'm still a little hesitant about this cruise, as I get sea sick and have traveled for years as an independent.
I love the idea of not having to pack and unpack every few days.

THE GOOD NEWS....!!!
I found out this morning that there was a cancellation and we are booked on the Sun Princess port side for June 13.

We are planning on going up on June 5th and renting a car to do our interior part of the vacation.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:42 PM

Intrepid is ABSOLUTELY correct. I think Princess has a 75 day cancellation policy (some others are/used to be 90). Start checking on days 85 thru 74 prior to departure date. After that your chances are really much slimmer.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 03:57 AM

Jasp- if prone to seasickness TAKE PRECAUTIONS- you will get reports of smooth sailing in Alaska- it is a myth and no guarantees. Consult your MD, consider Bonine etc. Consider at least 2 nights in Denali Park- a highlight for most tourists, go on the shuttle to Fish Creek- just wonderful wildlife opportunities and scenery.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

I'm definitely going to speak with my doctor before leaving. I've heard that the patch works well also.

Thanks for your replies
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 12:44 PM

That's great news jaspertl, don't you luv it when a plan comes together...I'm happy for you, have a great trip.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your kind reply Charlie! I'm really looking forward to it now.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 01:34 PM

Jasp , if you're considering using the patch, make sure you try it BEFORE the cruise. It can have a lot of bad side effects, especially if you consume any alcohol.A cabin center ship is usually the most stable but at least you HAVE a cabin. Sounds like a great cruise.

ui
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Well that doesn't sound good! I have to have my wine and an occasional martini!
Any other good remedies for us who get sea sick?
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 12:18 PM

jaspertl: Don't be too concerned about the patch and having a drink. I use them on every cruise and alcohol is not a problem for me. When you call your doctors office just let them know that you need the patchs and they'll most likely just call in a prescription without seeing you. People do it all the time. I agree, try one before you go on the cruise to see how you tolerate them. They work wonders for me. Have a GREAT cruise!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

OK...I feel better now...what's a cruise without the cocktail?
Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 02:23 AM

Definitely have a back-up to the patch...and try both before you go. Things that work for one person may not be effective for another. I have friends who have used the patch successfully and swear by them, but that was not my experience. When we cruised to Bermuda I got deathly seasick THE FIRST night on on an ocean so calm the nurse called it 'a millpond.' As she gave me a shot, she insisted, "Take off that patch! Everyone on this ship who is sick is wearing one of them."

Each person's experience is different, but we cruised Inside Passage last summer on a small ship. I was terrified that I would have my head hanging over the side of the boat the whole time, but the waters were very mild. It was just like being on land. Wishing the same for you.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

We never go out on boats so I'm not sure how "I'll try them before I go".

I think I'll just go loaded for bear (not really!) and bring a bit of everthing
the patch, bonine, ginger pills etc.

I know people talk about getting shot from the ship doctor. How long would you wait...how sick do you get before asking for that kind of help?

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 12:53 PM

I'll let you know in a few weeks. We leave tomorrow on the Jewel and we probably have the worst balcony on the ship - 2 cabins from the front of the ship. Since I am very sensitive to motion I'm a little concerned but I'm not going to dwell on it. We'll still have fun. Ship is sold out (balconys) so I can't change cabins - I tried!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 07:15 PM

We were on a cruise in the Atlantic with some pretty dramatic waves. We were told to eat candied ginger, toast, tea. I am very prone to sea sickness, but the patch blurred my vision. To each his own. The wrist bands worked well for me.