Reload this Page >

Alaska Cruise - Questions re Glaciar Bay and College Fjord

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We are suprising Dad with a cruise to Alaska for his 70th birthday. My husband and I will accompany him and Mom just to make sure they are ok. Having researched the posts here, I understand that Glaciar Bay and College Fjord are highlights. I have chosen Princess cruiseline for this reason.

I noticed however, that this itinerary gives us 2 full back-to-back sailing days. I'm sure Dad and Mom will be fine, but will the husband and I be bored? We like scenery, but, if I had a choice, I would have spaced out the sailing days between ports.

I am curious if another cruise itinerary would offer similar views, but a more diverse itenerary in terms of spacing out ports. Regardless of my personal taste, however, I will do whatever is best for the Alaska experience as this is for Dad and not necessarily for me!

Additionally, I read an article that recommended the south to north itinerary so that you get a build up in terms of scenery rather than seeing the best views first. Any first-hand opinions on this?

All comments/suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Chels
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 11:03 PM

Are you touring interior Alaska??? I would never do a one way cruise without this- my opinion only. Yes Glacier Bay is a highlight, but a one way cruise has only one day different comparing it to round trips. AND no I do not prefer northbound compared to southbound, by far- I greatly prefer Vancouver Island sailing. Northbound does this sailing at night. You also do not state when you are going? I have sailed both directions several times as well as round trip Vancouver- with packs a LOT into 7 days. I give a BIG edge to HAL BOTH for there one way and round trip cruises. Seward gets my vote over Whittier- BUT for the tour of each town- way too many people just pass through. HAL is also superior for round trip Vancouver which Princess doesn't do. Anyway- keep researching- the more you know the better. Look at route- time in ports, ports, glacier, price. Budget fully for costly shore excursions- you get only half a trip without them.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi, BudgetQueen,

Thank you for responding. I have been reading many of your posts here and on other sites, and you are always very helpful!

Right now we are thinking of sailing around the 26 of August, 2005. I am not sure that my work schedule will allow the time for an interior tour. We ar trying our best. Dad has always been very interested in the Alaskan cruise, so at the very least, I would like to give him that experience. My father is not as mobile as he used to be, so the more scenic the sail, the better for him. Port excursions will have to be on the more sedate side - trains and smaller boat sails. Both he and my husband will refuse the helicopter tours at all costs!

Any other suggestions? I have been doing so much research that I feel innundated...

Thanks for your help!

Chels
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 04:51 PM

We did that exact same itinerary in August 2003 with my parents. My mother had always been fascinated by College Fjord and I defnitely felt we needed to see Glacier Bay. Princess had the only itinerary that gave us both and I have NEVER regretted our choice. I worried about being bored, but we weren't in the slightest. We had a balconey, which I definitely recommend, and my husband spent a fair amount of time out there watching the world go by and reading. There was lots to see at all hours. As for which direction to go, we went North to South. The scenery is different, but there is still lots to see as you go south and I liked that it was getting warmer ! We spent a couple of days in the Seward area first and went on a National Park boat tour of Kenai Fjords. I was afraid we had spoiled the trip for ourselves since we saw everything we wanted to on that one day, but it was still spectacular. The we ended with several days in Vancouver and Victoria before flying home. A great ending to a marvelous trip.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 04:20 AM

I have sailed both ways and I don't agree to go north. Ships now sail way outside of land in the Gulf compared to several years ago and I greatly prefer Vancouver Island sailing which is one scenic vista after another- this is sailed at night on the northbound sailings. But without the extra time and especially if you don't plan Seward, Denali Park- a round trip would offer almost as much if you get a round trip Vancouver sailing going to Glacier Bay- Hal. The flight to/from Anchorage is exhausting and not worth it in my experience unless you are enjoying and touring interior Alaska.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:44 AM

I have done 3 one way cruises on Princess with out doing any land touring and I love the one ways. My one way cruises were far better then my RT out of Vancouver.

Last year I did the B2B like you are considering and it was exceptional! I loved having the 4 glacier days and it wasn't a big deal to have them near each other. I doubt your family will be bored.

I probably will continue to sail one way cruises with out the land touring (until I have enough money for the land) - for me, the extra hour on the plane is far worth it to see both CF and GB. When I did the RT from Vancouver - I really felt like I missed a lot.