Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   AIR DEVIATION PROGRAM (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/air-deviation-program-60801/)

DAVE Jan 25th, 2000 10:44 AM

AIR DEVIATION PROGRAM

We are leaving on a cruise in two weeks. We will be sailing on the Dawn Princess. We haven't been overjoyed with our travel agent. We have been reading on the postings about the above policy some lines offer. We would like to fly into San Juan the night before and would like to know how the program works and the costs involved. Any information or referneces would be greatly appreciated. We are alittle concerned what does await us!! <BR>signed: First Time Cruiser

Elaine Jan 25th, 2000 04:31 PM

I know that Celebrity charges $35pp for air deviation; don't know if this is Princess' policy. If you didn't get your airfare through an add-on with Princess, get in your agent's face about arranging suitable airfare for the night before. You might even be able to arrange it through Princess at: <BR>1-800-PRINCESS. Good luck and happy cruising. If you'd like to email me, I'd be happy to tell you about a wonderful cruise agent that even answers calls from home when he has the flu!

JanGail Jan 25th, 2000 05:10 PM

<BR>I agree with Elaine 110%!!!!! I just <BR>hope that you are not too late with <BR>only two weeks to go. If your <BR>air tickets are already issued, you <BR>may have to pay a fee to change <BR>them. Yes, air deviation is a great <BR>program and most cruise lines offer <BR>them. Look in the back of your <BR>brochure in the section about <BR>air transportation--- there should be <BR>a small paragraph about the Air <BR>Deviation program--- it is usually <BR>about $35 to 50 pp to participate. <BR>Hope this helps! <BR>JanGail

Debra Jan 26th, 2000 01:39 PM

When are you going? My husband and I are going on the Dawn 2/13. We will be leaving for San Juan on the 11th. We also had a crummy TA. She totally screwed up are diviation and took 2 weeks of calling her every day to fix it! Anyway, we can't wait for the Dawn! <BR>

elaine Jan 27th, 2000 05:55 AM

Dave, <BR> <BR>Since you cruise in two weeks, have you received your documents? If not, you may be able to deviate and fly to San Juan one day prior. Elaine and Jan offer excellent advice. Phone Princess [however I believe you'll need your booking number to discuss this] and ask to speak at least to a supervisor and tell them you would like to participate in pre-cruise program. Simultaneously, discuss this with your travel agent. It really may be too close to sailing to change plans...but worth asking. I will add that we always deviate air...even if flying down same day as cruise, and our travel agt. never charges the deviation fee. He wants our business and does this as a courtesy. Something to think about for future cruise vacations. <BR>I wouldn't let this mar your vacation...at least you are now informed. Have a wonderful cruise. <BR>Bon Voyage!

DAVE Jan 27th, 2000 08:53 AM

Thanks to all who replied. I really appreciate it. This being my first cruise I need all the help I can get!! We are sailing the week before you Debra. It is too bad because we enjoy meeting new people. There are five couples going in our group. We always travel together and enjoy it very much. We have been to Jamaica,D.R., etc. We are planning on going to Negril next year. You can bet we won't be using the same agent. She wanted to charge us $75.00 plus hotel room to go a day earlier. We thought that was a bit much and not very accomadating. Debra, I can try and get back to you before you go if you like?? To all, thanks,any more hints would be great!!!

Debra Jan 27th, 2000 11:17 AM

How exciting that this is your first cruise and going with friends will be great fun. I think you will love this ship. We did the Western Caribbean on the Sun Princess, sister ship of the Dawn, and it was great. I hope you have a balcony. If not try it next time you will be hooked. A real nice feature of these ships are the refrigerators in the staterooms and the terry cloth robes. I guess I won't be able to get any tips from you about the Dawn since you'll be getting off as we're getting on. Have a wonderful time!