Alaska cruise with Celebrity report - long

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska cruise with Celebrity report - long

I just got back from a seven night cruise on Celebrity's Mercury and wanted to post my great time! This was a working trip for me; I was with other travel agents. This report will have certain details in it that most people don't write down but it's part of my job and I can't escape it

So...grab a coffee, kick off your tight shoes and sit back cause here we go!

8/10-My UA flight from DTW/ORD took off right at 8:20a. No turbulence so that was very good. Our flight from ORD/YVR was delayed by 45 min. We ended up taking off at 11am. Mild turbulence. Superman 3 and another movie with Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo. We landed and went through customs; long line but every station was open so it moved very quickly. Found a taxi and drove to the pier ($30CAD).

Check in at the terminal went very smoothly and as soon as we boarded we were offered champagne. We found our cabin (1056) on deck 10 and began to unpack. My roommate and I began to explore the ship. The staff was very nice and always wanted to help. Went up to decks 11 & 12 and took in the view which was mountainous and pretty. We met with our Celebrity rep. at 7:30pm for cocktails and appetizers. I had a delicious cocktail called a Yellow Bird.

Before I went back briefly to my stateroom, I noticed a bag outside my room. I looked at the name and it was marked with 1056 on the tag but the first name was no where near my roomates and last name was different by one letter. I let my room attendant know this and it got to its rightful owner.

Late dinner (8:30p) in the Manhattan Restaurant. I had a duckling appetizer, caesar salad, prime rib and a desert filled with a pistachio mousse like filling. All was very good. We are seated at table 657 on the upper level. My former travel agent and her mother are also seated with us. Called it an early night at 11pm.

8/16 - Slept great. The beds are very comfortable. Went to the Palm Springs Cafe to have coffee before hitting the fitness center at 7:30am. Note: Fitness center is open 7:00a-11p; should in my opinion open at 6:00am as many people who work out do so very early in the morning. There was no check-in sheet for the treadmills or elepticals. Morning is cloudy but gorgeous. Many staff in the buffet area are offering Celebrity logoed travel mugs for $9.95. Yes I bought one and am drinking out of it right now!

Buffet offerings are very nice choices; scrambled, hardboiled and fried eggs, plus an omelet station, fruit, toast, bagels, danish and muffins, muesli, hashbrowns, cold and hot cereals plus even Indian food which I love. There is also a waffle and pancake station which you must try. Went to class at 9am and then broke for lunch at 12p. Decided to try the Manhattan for lunch. Had a spring roll, chilled tropical fruit soup, salad, french potato pie and mango cheesecake and bread pudding with rum sauce. Yes, two deserts

Back to class and we had a fun scavenger hunt that ended with drinks in the Navigator Club on deck 12. Tried the high tea in the Manhattan restaurant at 4:00pm. The Palm Springs Cafe has a casual tea also. Went back to the Navigator Club for conversation and saw a few whales blowing air. Dinner was warm Montrachet cheese and potato gratin, french onion soup, belgian endive salad w/candied pecans, roasted pork loin w/stuffed apples and prunes and cherries jubilee. Again, the food was delicious. Afterward we took in the show which was Oscar, Tony and musicals themed. I thought the performances were decent but on the whole was kind of cheesy; not my kind of thing. Went to the Navigator club for 70's night but it was mostly 80's and current music, go figure!

8/12 - After working out and breakfast, I took my father's ashes and sprinkled them out into the water near Juneau. We were surrounded by lush mountains. He always wanted his entire life to visit Alaska but never got the chance so I felt closer to him by doing this gesture for him. I think he would be happy knowing a fish perhaps consumed him.

Had class for a few hours this morning and bought my daughter a lovely shawl for her homecoming dress on ship for only $10. The weather in Juneau is spectacular and all the locals are impressed and raving as its usually rainy and 60. We were allowed off the ship at 3p. I took a tour of Mendenhall Glacier and gardens. Juneau is 0' above sea level. The gardens tour was not what I thought it would be but it was still nice. I thought it would be more of a botanical garden but it was more rainforest. The drivers took us up to 580' in golf carts up very steep roads. Stayed about 90 min. and then took off for Mendenhall which was about 10-15 min. away. We were directed what to do if we saw a bear on our trail. Well, not two minutes of walking and talking about salmon, my friend stops and says very dryly, "there's one now". "One what?", "a bear". What??!! I quickly run over to the bridge where a crowd has formed and look to see a mother bear and her cubs. She's trying to catch a salmon. She eventually did and brought it up onto shore where they fed. It was an awesome sight seeing bears but not in a zoo. I got this spectacular sight on video. I also got some great photos of the glacier.

The visitor center revealed that back in 1935 the glacier was almost touching and now was a little more than a mile away. Got dropped off in downtown and did some shopping and walked the mile back to the ship. I thought downtown Juneau reminded me at times of being in town on Mackinac Island.

Dinner was Caprese salad (with buffalo mozzarella), Louisiana gumbo, lamb shank , tiramisu and chocolate framboise. I loved everything but the lamb shank. I've realized I love lamb chops but lamb shank and loin is not my thing. There was an astronomy class on top deck at 10:30p but I was too tired to take part.

8/13-Skagway! We arrived at 7a. My friend took off for a bike tour and I relaxed and ate breakfast before walking off and going into town for shopping. I really liked the look of Skagway. Its population is only 800-900 but at least the town looks like people actually live there instead of it being just a tourist town like Juneau and Ketchikan do. It's very charming and used to have about 20K people during the heyday of the gold rush. The day was filled with relaxing, napping and chatting with friends when I got back to the ship.

Dinner was San Francisco crab cake, spinach salad, cream of broccoli soup, NY strip steak w/baked potato, bok choy, gateau chocolate imperial cake and pear flan soufflé. The NY steak was good but not great and the pear flan didn't taste enough of pear.

8/14 - We're entering more snow covered mountains now. Had to wear my fleece sweater, gloves, and blanket outside. The morning is clear. I finally had the belgian waffles with chocolate and caramel sauce with real whipped cream and they were divine. After class, went out to view Hubbard Glacier. It was quite a sight; very beautiful, serene and pristine. It felt very powerful and I felt insignificant next to it. We were there about two hours while a someone on the PA spoke about the glacier. A waiter came around and brought pea soup in a bread bowl, yummy! The weather was crisp but sunny and clear. I did spot an otter in the water and did manage to get the best calving on video while our ship was there. Note: the ship does turn once so it doesn't matter if your stateroom is port or starboard side. This would only be of concern if you decide not to go top deck to view. There was also no other ships in the vicinity while we were there. While we were entering, a ship was leaving and as we were leaving another ship was coming in so there was no congestion.

Went back to class again in the afternoon and we were given a galley tour. We were all worn out I think from the fresh air so decided to take naps on the loungers in the covered pool area. I decided to partake of some sushi and miso soup for a late lunch then walked around the ship until dinner.

Dinner tonight was wonderful carpaccio, chicken soup w/velvet soup (this was sooooo good), salad, roast quail and lobster tail (couldn't decide) and baked alaska. My roommate had the martini tasting (six mini martinis) and when her entree came, took one look at it and asked me if its what she ordered; she was a little tipsy so I had to excuse myself and walk her back to the cabin. Everyone at dinner was having a great time as if that was going to jinx and doom was going to come. I started thinking about the movie "Poseidon Adventure" and then sure enough someone makes an announcement of lets sing "Auld Land Syne" Talk about irony and dread and someone upstairs laughing hysterically at me. That event took two xanax. Goodnight...

8/15 - Ketchikan! After breakfast I took in a Q&A session with the cruise director and a ventriloquist and his and significant partner; Noseworthy. He was very funny and had a rapid exchange of conversation.

We arrived in Ketchikan at 1p. Didn't do that much shopping but walked around and took lots of pics. Ketchikan was definitely larger and more touristy looking. There were many floatplanes taking off every minute and many local tour companies hawking their wildlife and plane tours right on the pier. Since it was sunny, clear and 80 degrees, I went to lay out on the pool deck and soaked in the jacuzzi; all this while staring at huge mountains. Am I spoiled or what?

Went to the evening show which featured the ventriloquist and a married couple who were formerly with Cirque du Soleil. They did many gravity defying tricks with their bodies. Dinner was seafood cerviche, chilled strawberry soup, caesar salad and penne rigati con quattro formagi. I didn't stay for coffee and desert as the dining room began slightly shuddering. I looked around to see if anyone else noticed this. After a few minutes, people did begin to look up from their plates. That's it. I excused myself, went back to my cabin thinking the worst was about to happen (don't tsunami's happen every day?). Mind you, earlier this day a huge earthquake had hit Peru and a so called Tsunami was suppose to hit Hawaii which in my illogical mind was two miles away from Alaska. I changed into warm clothes, got my purse, cash and passport and went down to deck 5 (lifeboat area)and waited for the "abandon ship" call that I was sure was any minute.

Well, of course after two xanax I calmed down and waited for my friends to come out of dinner where I just looked like I was having a drink and leisurely listening to the band. Never did find out why the ship did shudder...

8/16 - last full day. We're cruising the inside passage today. I settled my account early and began packing. After breakfast, I kept on seeing friends and I was literally on pool deck from 8am-7pm. The afternoon is somewhat sunny and 60. After spending most of the morning in the covered area of the pool deck, we relaxed on loungers and sipped hot chocolate and watched for whales. The captain said we should see them starting around 4pm. As the day grew more chilly, I covered with blankets and watched scenery go by for a few hours. The mist floated around the mountains like a halo. It began to rain finally. A couple of times we saw off in the distance a whale blowing air or something else come out of the water. We started singing silly songs loudly and telling bad jokes as we were some of the few still out on deck. We're hard core...

Left the deck around 7p and after a few minutes, my friend came back to the room saying everyone else was kicked off the pool deck as the crew had to wash it down for tomorrows guests. Dinner was an appetizer of a biscuit filled with escargot and mushrooms, chilled strawberry soup, cream of broccoli soup and coc au vin with vegetables. Desert I can't remember. Saw the late movie in the cinema; "Mrs. Henderson Presents" with Dame Judi Dench. Very smart movie with great sharp dialogue. Made sure our luggage was in the hallway before 11p and went to sleep.

8/17 - Disembarking. Up at 530a for early breakfast. As today is a travel day, I only drink one cup of coffee as all the other days I've been drinking close to 20 cups of decaf per day. I love my coffee don't you think?

As we're pulling into Vancouver, I get to see how lovely it is at 6:30am. The houses are cut into the hills and we glide underneath a bridge. I fed a croissant to some seagulls as I missed my own birds at home. Met in the cinema at 7:15am for a debriefing of disembarking and walked off the ship quickly and through customs, got a taxi and arrived at the airport at 8:15am. Our flight from YVR/ORD was delayed 20 minutes. Since I couldn't pre-assign my seat, I had to wait until the gate agent assigned it; middle seat, last row. Oy... Thank goodness I was stuck between two quiet men. Our flight from ORD/DTW was delayed 45 minutes. As I waiting for my luggage at baggage claim, the voice of doom announced no more luggage. I walked into UA's office and was told my other checked bag was on the next flight from ORD and would arrive in 30 minutes so I decided to wait. Flights were very uneventful. All in all, I had a great time and would sail with Celebrity again. The staff was very nice and smiling and definetly knew customer service.

Now my travel agent side notes: My stateroom was 172 square feet and could easily fit two people but would never recommend three or four people. Hairdryers had low power so you may wish to take your own. Shampoo/Conditioner, soap, cotton balls, q-tips, kleenex were provided. There is an in-room safe located behind the vanity mirror. I thought there was plenty of closet and drawer space; again based on two people. You can also fit one large suitcase or two small suitcases under the bed. There is a clothesline in the shower. Speaking of the shower, it did have very good pressure. Celebrity serves coke products and offers all three sugar replacements; Splenda, Equal and Sweet-n-low in addition to sugar and raw sugar.

I found room service to be on-time. Internet cafe: .65 per minute or 1 1/2 hours for $40, two hours for $80 and 4 1/1 hours for $100. If you bring your laptop you will save more because you can DL your email and then read it offline.

Kids club: 9am-1am. Children are split up of course per their age: I met with the director and she told me that they have a $6.00 per hour, per child fee for their slumber party which is only available to 3-12 yrs. old. Their seasonal staff require a two year minimum degree along with a background with kids, CPR training and a security clearance. Their permanent staff require a four year degree along with the same. Babysitting is available for $8.00 per hr., per child and only women are allowed to baby-sit.

Disembarking: I highly recommend you purchase their valet luggage service for $20.00 per person. It's worth every penny. They check you into your flight, deliver your boarding pass along with your luggage tags. When they take your luggage the night before, you don't see it again until you pick it up in baggage claim at your destination. Loved this service. The only airlines that participate are UA, NW, AA, AS and I think one more.

There were wine tastings, daiquiri tastings and martini tastings offered for only $10 per person. There of course was also a daily drink special. The martini bar offers 20 different kinds. There is also a champagne bar. I had the cappuccino in their Cova cafe for only $2.50 and it was delicious. Martinis were about $10.50 per and regular cocktails were between $6.00-$7.00. Michaels Club offers fine liqueurs and cigars.

I hope this information was helpful! If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer!

Bjorkchop
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:56 AM

Thank you for the TR. It was very special of you to do what you did with your fathers ashes. I sure would like to know, as you what caused the ship to shudder. It must have been pretty significant to have caused the dining room to clear out like that. Do other cruise lines have that luggage service too? Cheers, Larry
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi Larry~

Actually, it was only me that cleared out.

I know Holland has the valet luggage service but they charge $90 per person , per bag, each way. It's picked up from your home/office and delivered right to the your stateroom and then you can have it delivered back to your home. It's done through DHL.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:02 AM

Thank you. By contrast X is a bargain.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the organized and informative trip report - especially since we are seriously considering Celebrity cruise to Alaska next June.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Correction: It's Princess that offers the valet luggage program, not Holland.

Bjorkchop
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Really great report - we did the Celebrity Summit about the same time (3 August - 10 Aug then the train to Fairbanks) - and it was exceptional. Really, really enjoyable cruiseline and cruise - and Alaska is absolutely jaw-dropping beautiful at times.....
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Just a comment - the valet service that was mentioned is the same as US Direct in Vancouver. Many cruise lines (including Princess and Celebrity). Each cruise line may call the program something different. The cost is about the same (give or take $10 or so) per cruise lines. I have participated in this program many times on Princess in Vancouver.

This is a program that was started by the Vancouver Airport and cruise lines and airlines participate (not all do).

This is DIFFERENT then valet service that cruise lines use where you ship your luggage to the ship or back from the ship. This service is very $$$$.

Theresa
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Hello From Detroit!
I really enjoyed your celebrity cruise post. Thank You so much for taking the time to post.
I was drooling reading about all the meals you had. I'd have to work out every morning too if I ate like that.
How was coffee on the Ship? I have done 2 cruises on princess and the coffee sucked.

Thanks again. Theresa in Detroit.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM

My first cruise was on HAL's Zaandam in 2004, also Alaska. I DID have the luggage service described above, but it was $15.00. (I don't know where $90.00 came from, I can't imagine paying that much). I agree, money well spent, I loved it

Thanks for the report, I got to relive my Alaska cruise a little bit
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 06:17 AM

The $90 - $100 per person/per bag comes from when you ship the luggage from your house and it shows up on the ship and from the ship back home. This services uses DHL or FEDEX to ship your luggage. This program can cost thousands if going to Europe.

I also paid $15 with Princess 2 years ago. This service transports your luggage to the ship, you go through a special customs/immigration and you receive your boarding pass on the ship.

Entirely 2 different programs!
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi Mamaw~

I thought the coffee was very good. I normally drink Folgers decaf instant at home as I don't like strong coffee. I usually drank up to 20 cups per day depending if we were in port or not (these were cups not mugs mind you).
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Mamaw: You're talking my language now . On our last two Princess ships the coffee seemed to be better, i.e. on the Tahitian last yr. and thr Star this yr. there was definite improvement. I drink Gevalia at home and on the Tahitian I brought my own coffee and a French press but this yr. I hoped the coffee would be as good as on the Star and for the most part it was acceptable. However don't expect coffee ala a rich, flavorful roast. I didn't feel like toting my gear again and as we were in the Baltic I had lots of good coffee in port. Larry