Notices

Advice on booking Alaskan Cruise

Old Dec 7th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on booking Alaskan Cruise

My two best friends and I are planning to take an Alaskan Cruise to celebrate our 60th birthdays in 2012. It will the first cruise for all of us. Any advice on booking for THREE (will we be forced to book separate rooms, or 2 in one room, 1 alone?), any advice about a cruise that offers spa amenities? If we could design the perfect cruise we'd forego ship entertainment (shows/dancing) for spa and excursions and no children. Any recommendations of a particular cruise line?
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 11:19 AM

You can try searching Google. I found this when I did a search, http://www.princess.com/learn/destin...ska/index.html. You should try researching....
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 11:55 AM

www.vacationstogo.com/alaska_cruises.cfm

Great deals here all the Lines and discounts.

Princess best for me in the past they have

the best Denali Lodge spa and good pricepoints

3 no problem go for a balcony or a suite if

budget is good.I did a balcony was awesome in

Glacier Bay especially.

[email protected] good personal agent for me in the past.

Happy Planning!
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM

HAL is my second choice for senior oriented cruise line.

More Formal but less kids...

Regent Crystal et al if money is no object
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 12:15 PM

Forgot if you can be flexible on itinerary have a look at
Seabounrn all suite all AI no tipping.All Seabourn suites have sleek and elegant interiors and are roomy at 277 square feet or more. Beds are dressed with fine Egyptian cotton linens, fluffy duvet covers with king-size down and feather pillows, and in every stateroom luxury amenities are provided such as Hermes and L'Occitane soaps, a well-stocked complimentary in-suite bar and Seabourn's Pure Pampering therapeutic bathing menu. In addition, guests have the services of a Personal Suite Stewardess who is ready to cater to every need.

discounts currently up to 92% personally booked a $20K SA cruise for $1.8K but my wife developed a medical issue or
I would be cruising around Chile Cape Horn now.Dec 19 is still
possible but doubt I will make it.Chile beautiful for me
better than alaska in many ways Seabourn is awesome.

vacationstogo.com also for deals on them.

Good Luck!
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM

We have enjoyed HAL cruises. The on board entertainment is missable. Avoid party lines, but few of them go to Alaska. HGet a guide book that describes the personality of cruise lines and make your pick. My wife and I and our adult daughter shared a superior verandah suite on two different cruises and it was fine. One person has a smaller bed, but you get good accomadations and the price is good. Two people paid the basic price and the third was much less. Cheaper than two cabins.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM

We are in our 60's and we really like Carnival. It has outgrown its party ship reputation. We've taken the Spirit to Alaska a few years ago, and are going again this May, taking our daughter and her husband. The prices are the best in the industry, in my opinion. If you feel comfortable booking this early, you can get early saver discount. They also have over age 55 discounts which are sometimes lower than early saver. They have cabins with twin beds and a pull out couch/bed. We've cruised with Princess, Orient, Grand Circle, and Louis. We've liked all our cruises, but CCL is our favorite. You don't need a travel agent. Call CCL and see what they have to offer you and your friends.
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Just wanted to correct the web site that qwovadis recommended. It should be [email protected]
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 09:34 AM

I would recommend you consider Celebrity and if possible take an Aqua Class cabin. These give you special access to the Spa and a special restaurant with a more healthy Med. type preparation.
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 10:50 AM

If you book your trip at either end of the cruising season, there will not be many kids on board. We took a cruise with Celebrity at the end of August and while DH and I decided that we were not cut out for cruising, due to our not wanting so much sit time and liking to control our schedule etc. but there were very few kids.

Do be aware that it might rain, side trips will cost big time, and consider taking a land tour that includes Denali before or after the cruise.
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM

I recently took Celebrity to the Holy land and was told that AQ. class cabins use a restaurant with tables for two only so if you like a larger table to meet people than this would be a factor to weigh. You can do concierge class as well which has perks and larger tables for dinner if you prefer.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 07:37 AM
KVR

We just did the Golden Princess round trip Seattle in September and loved it. Only a hand full of kids. Very mature crowd. I would go again on Princess and would also look at Celebrity and Hal for a quieter atmosphere.

Check with a travel agent. Most cabins are booked as double occupenancy and can add 1 or 2 additional people. Most cruise lines do not book one person to a room or if they do the single supplement rate is outragously expensive.

All cruise ships have Spas. They are over priced in my opinion. In Alaska I rather be out looking at the wonderful scenery than in a spa, but to each their own. During the cruise they will have specials. Expecially when docked in port. Towards the end of the cruise is when generally they have more discounts.
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

GREAT ADVICE! Thanks to everyone
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 01:38 PM

You can fit 3 in a cabin but would be crowded. Single is expensive. ALternative would be book a mini suite. The cost of a mini suite for 3 people maybe cheaper than a typical double and a single (with the extra single suppliment)

Glacier Bay is a "must" stop as that's a highlite, and much better than Tracy Arm etc.

You can look at small boat cruises such as InnerSea Discoveries and American Safari Cruises. Cruise West is no longer in business. They are nothing like the mass market ships.