Adult Only Cruises

Dec 30th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Pier

Adult Only Cruises

Many cruise ship enthusiasts prefer this type of cruise experience,however, with the bankruptcy of Rennaisance it no longer exists. With the plethora of cruises available this year it would seem a wise marketing move for a line to fill this niche.It would simply mean designating certain weeks for adults only ie . a romantic Valentines week cruise for couples. The non designated weeks it would be business as usual.

Dec 30th, 2001, 11:22 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Pierre,

I do not think that would be a wise marketing ploy. It would break their advertising budget for the date/s. They would have to raise the price of the cruise.

Your best bet for cruise lines with few or no children would be Holland or other more upscale cruise lines.
There are many to choose from.

Paul

Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:48 PM
Andy

Pier- we did the Windsurf from ROme to Nice---this ship and the rest of the Windstar line do NOT cater to children.THere are NO children's programs and the youngest "child" we saw was 21 yrs old...You would LOVE this upscale casual cruise line...

Jan 4th, 2002, 04:38 PM
Pierre

Thanks Andy. I will research that cruise. It reply to Pauls comments that this would be a marketing problem I have difficulty in believing that this would be the case. Cruise ships have a continuous stream of promotions that change with the season i e NASCAR cruises, Big Band cruises, NFL cruises. What would be difficult as saying Valentines Cruise for couples only.I hope the cruise line marketing people read these boards,look at the success of Couples and Sandals Resorts.

Jan 4th, 2002, 11:49 PM
Paul Therault

Yes Pierre but aren't you talking oranges and tomatos? These "theme" cruises are an added attraction to drum-up business but to have an entire voyage specifically for adults would be a financial disaster.

As an example, Holland America, which has been known for years as a senior cruise-line found it difficult to attract younger passengers therefore they are reducing their prices, building larger children's areas and adding additional cruise-counselors.

Carnival is another line that attempts to attract the non-smoker with the Paradise but has an extremely difficult time filling the ship and has to resort to low pricing. They are now changing the itinerary to attract past passengers.

Another example of poor marketing stragedy is Renaissance who attempted to "specialize" and lost their shirt.

There are plenty of cruise-lines that are labeled "niche" which do cater to adults albeit the price is quite high. You will find practically no children on these cruise lines. So you do have this option.

It all boils down to .....niche cruising is expensive.

Paul

Jan 5th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Pierre

Thanks for your perspective. My wife is a grade school teacher and she likes to have a true "get away". We'll likely just go back to Sandals and have a restful week with a quiet dining environment.

Jan 5th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Bob

Windjammer barefoot cruises are basically kid free. A couple of the ships have kids programs Legacy and Polonisia (SP) but the others are pretty "pure"

Jan 5th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Pierre,

I would give cruising a second thought. My experience with Sandals is that it has just about the most expensive resorts in the world and with mostly young couples I find them just as noisy as children (especially after a few drinks).

Why not price Holland America (anytime during the year), Royal Olympic or First European (Caribbean summer). Just about children-free.

I could see why a schoolteacher would wish to get away from children. But at Sandals you are the school-children.

Cruising is extremely romantic.

Paul