istanbul 5 and 6th October 2011 - Want to explore sites of Jewish Interest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Just wonder if anyone else is in Istanbul on these dates or who could advise how I could find a 1/2-1 day or so tour around the Jewish Interest sites? My grandpa came from here and my heritage is from this area although I am not Orthodox myself. The ship doesnt have an excursion doing this and as there for 2 days thought I could perhaps do something independently that doesnt cost an arm and a leg, is safe for a woman on her own and which doesnt involve miles of walking as I have a slight walking impairment (can do a little but not miles!) There is a hop on and off bus that stops apparently near the Jewish Hospital but dont feel confident to find al l the other sites. ....if anyone wants to meet up I am on the HOLLAND & AMERICA ROTTERDAM CRUISE SHIP docking at Istanbul on the 5th.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 06:41 AM

Although I love fodors, www.cruisecritic.com is a better site for cruise travel. There are message boards for the various ports and a Roll Call section where you can find other passengers on your sailing and arrange a private excurion. Good luck!
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 06:25 AM

We visited Istanbul w/ an overnight stay a few years ago - my absolute favorite port stop! You will love it there. What I did was to hire a private tour guide that showed us most of the typical tourist attractions in the 2 days we were there. I posted on the Cruise Critic board roll call for our sail date and got 15 people to sign up for my private tour. It was wonderful, our guide was superb and very knowledgeable. I can give you his contact info if you want to send him an email. He can advise you the best way to visit the Jewish sites. Good luck. Also check out the Cruise Critic website as suggested by abram, you will find info there and maybe even someone has organized a private tour of Istanbul.
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Just Googled it for you and you have lots of decisions..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ish+sites+in+i
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Contact the Jewish Museum in Istanbul and ask them to recommend a guide and itinerary. If you wish to visit any of the synagogues in Istanbul you will need to reserve and fill out various forms in advance, due to security concerns.
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 01:38 AM

Make sure you organize a Jewish tour early - changing security pemissions means they are usually required to be organzied in advance. This may require your passport photocopies and a special permissions form.
Old Jul 9th, 2011, 01:00 PM

I am also interestedin touring Jewish Heritage sites in Istanbul. I would be intrested in the contact metnioned in the luv 2travel post.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 06:19 AM

although we didn't do a Jewish Heritage Tour with Backpackers Travel, I did notice these tours on their web site:

http://www.backpackerstravel.net/index.php?pid=54

don't be thrown off by the name - the company does every day tours to high end tours.

We did a half day tour to the Chora Church and other places with Backpackers and they were super - non-smoking, new white van, extremely punctual and knowledgeable. We only had 1 person in our group other than we 3. They can also arrange a private tour.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 06:21 AM

oh - and i forgot to add that we found Istanbul extremely safe and I went walking without my husband plenty of times and felt very safe.
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 06:24 AM

Here is some of the info from Backpackers for the Jewish Heritage Tours (half and full day):

Half Day Morning Jewish Heritage Tour in Istanbul : Our tour starts with visiting Neva Salom Sinagogue (if possible)Neva Salom Sinagogue the largest sinagogue in Turkey,built and opened in 1951, the most religious ceremonies are held here.We walk around Galata quarter(old Jewish settlement area) ,see the Camondo family´s house and Steps.(Camondo family was a Banker family in the ottoman period who lived and burried in istanbul),Italian Sinagogue and Schneider tempel Kulturel center Which was an old sinagog before. The last place in the morning tour is Askenaz Sinagogue which is the only active Askenazi sinagogue in Istanbul.

Half Day Afternoon Jewish Heritage Tour in Istanbul : Afternoon tour starts with visiting the Zulfaris sinagogue,used as Turkey Jewish Museum today.After visiting the museum we drive to the Golden Horn visit the Balat quarter, walking among the old Jewish houses which the star of David can be seen on the façades, passing in front of Ahrida and Yanbol sinagogues and Or - Ahayim Jewish Hospital.
The last place in the afternoon Etz Ahayim Sinagogue in Ortaköy, active Sepharadim Sinagogue.

Full day Jewish Heritage Tour in Istanbul : The combination of the half day morning and afternoon tours mentioned above with a lunch Break (can be in Kosher restaurant Levi )

Additional Notes :
- All tours provided by Professional English speaking guides experianced on Jewish Heritahe sites in Istanbul.
- Air-conditioned vehicles used for the tours
- Passport copies of the tour attenders required 2 weeks advance for permission process
- Our company is not responsible for last minute cancellations of the visits to the sites done by related authorities