Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

A carnival representative tells me he can get me the lowest rate...

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Ruby

On a carnival cruise? Is this tru? If so why doesnt everyone deal directly with the cruise lines instead of TAs online TAs and sights like expedia and travelocity?

Thanks

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Barry Cunningham

A couple of points:the rep on the phone has just the standard fare,won't track the fluctuating price AFTER you book, and has no group discounts that can save you money in the end or up front.

Also,Many TA's rebate a portion of the commission to you to book with them and some agencies make more commssion than others therefore a difference in the price might occur lower thru an agency.
Find a good TA that will do all do the above!

P.S. get the price and email or call around...you'll see what I mean!

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Ruby

Hello,

I now have an email for my name ... [email protected] ... I just wanted to have a legit email for any ? I ask or replies I post on any of the fodors boards... I have been browsing long enough

take care

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Theresa

Ruby -

Look around. Many TAs discount their commission which would mean that you can get a lower cost cruise than what the cruiseline quotes you. My TA always quotes a lower price.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 08:59 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Ruby,

Any cruise line, not just Carnival. The phone reps will quote you the same price that they quote the Travel Agents. It is a misconception that people think by cutting out the middle man they will save money. it is not like buying furniture.

A Travel Agent can save you money as explained above. They will also answer all your questions no matter how trivial.

Paul