Reload this Page >

50th Anniversary Cruise

Search

50th Anniversary Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 05:08 PM
Sam

50th Anniversary Cruise

I was hoping you could help me. My parents will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary next June. My sister & I were thinking about sending them on a cruise as a gift. Can you make a recommendation for a cruise line / ship. <BR> <BR>Some considerations; <BR> <BR>- Would like to book it close to their anniversary. <BR>- They live in NJ. Would like to minimize flight time to point of embarkation. <BR>- They are relatively healthy <BR>- They enjoy eating, dancing <BR>- They are Jewish (but not strictly Kosher - they eat "Kosher Style") <BR>- My Dad plays chess seriously <BR>- My Mom plays Bingo & Mah Jongg <BR>- Would probably enjoy company close to their own ages (67 & 74) <BR>- They like shows, particularly musicals. <BR>- They like slot machines <BR>- Looking for a real "stable" ship. <BR>- Never been on a cruise before <BR> <BR> <BR>Thanks very much for whatever suggestions you can make. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 09:02 PM
MudPie

I think they'd love Holland America...it's top notch in all respects. I would avoid the larger ships and go for something more midsize (around 800-1200 passengers Max). You don't want them to be too overwhelmded on their first outing. Princess would be another good consideration depending upon which itinerary is the most appealing and of course the price. If you're really splurging, then look into Crystal, Radisson, Silverseas. HAL and Princess are perfect for most anyone of any age (except for the party-hardy who may prefer Carnival) If money allows, you might want to also consider a balcony cabin!! You sound like a wonderful son, do you want to adopt me? (and hubby and 2 kids, dog and 3 cats)

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Parrot Mom

There are cruises that go out of New York..to Bermuda...and you could pick a really nice one...they would love Bermuda..I do.. and for the "kosher" food...you could order "glatt" kosher, but frankly there is so much fish and alternatives they could pick and choose themselves... The mornings would be a joy with the smoked salmon, kippers, etc.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 11:49 AM
steve

Sam: Parrot mom's right there. bermuda cruises are good. there is also a nice 7 day cruise on the S.S Rembrandt from nyc to montreal, then 7days back again if you want to make it a 14 day cruise. The premier cruise line Rembrandt was the Holland Americas Rotterdam, about 38000 tons. the Premier people are keeping this ship in great shape. its one of the prettiest interiors i've seen. you can see the ship online at www.premiercruises.com also another small line is Regal cruises. its Regal Empress is about 25000 toms but is also in very good shape. i believe it goes to nyc in the summer for us coastal cruises. like nyc to maine then nova scotia ect. www.regalcruises.comp

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 05:43 PM
Parrot Mom

Ive heard nothing but raves about the Rembrandt..and I think a 2 week cruise would be ideal, but I would worry about the time of the year and the seas in the North Atlantic.. where as to Bermuda..the ship sits there for a few days..especially where it's their first cruise.. As a slight comment, I would also make sure it was the end of May or very beginning of June to avoid slews of kids..

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 05:57 AM
Theresa

What a great son! <BR> <BR>I would try Princess, HAL or Celebrity. Celebrity would be "nicer" but HAL and Princess would be wonderful allso. You are lucky because Jersey has direct flights to most places out of Newark. You will probably need to decide where you want to go. Most carribean ships (and also the newer ships) go to europe or alaska during the summer. You may want to consider one of those itinaries. I would pick a place and then repost for ideas of ships and itinaries. <BR> <BR>They will love the gift.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 03:36 AM
Don D.

I would recommend the Delta Steamboat Company ships, especailly the Delta Queen or the American Queen. The are river trips, therefore stable. Downside is there is no gambling but there is dancing, and the passengers are all 60 and above. <BR>Don't use the Columbia Queen (Columbia River, Oregon) is they book one of the four stern cabins. Very noisy. <BR>There is also the Canadian Empress that cruises the St. Lawrence seaway. They are headquartered in Kingston, Ont. <BR>There is nothing like a river cruise for quiet and relaxing. No waves to worry about and you see a lot of the local people and scenery. <BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 12:24 PM
Guylaine

I say Holland America for a special occasion. They are wonderful in every respect. Second choice Celebrity to Bermuda. I have been on the Rembrandt, she is a beautiful ship but needs attention. It could be a disapointment for a cruise of a lifetime. If they like antique ocean liners I say by all means the Rembrandt.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 02:47 PM
fran

<BR>I would suggest a cruise out of NY or Boston since they would be a short flight, either to Bermuda or Canada, there is also one that goes to Maine and Rhode Island w/o leaving the US. Unless the Rembrandt has been refurbished, I would not recommend it, I was aboard her just over a year ago in the Med and it was definitely in need of new carpet, the stairs were frayed and my cabin had stains. It is a classic ship with wood both inside and out, which I prefer, however, not in her current state. Sam, knowing your price range would really help in making suggestions