Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   30th Anniversary Alaska Cruise on the Infinity - Good Choice??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/30th-anniversary-alaska-cruise-on-the-infinity-good-choice-348989/)

antmaril Aug 18th, 2003 04:21 AM

30th Anniversary Alaska Cruise on the Infinity - Good Choice???

My husband and I will celebrate our 30th anniversary next July. We have decided to take an Alaska Cruise -- Inside Passage. We have cruised three times before. Once in 1982 on the NCL Starward (ages ago!!!), the Big Red Boat in 1991 and the Carnival Destiny to Nova Scotia three years ago.

We want this trip to be special and I'm leaving towards a concierge class cabin on the Celebrity Infinity. However, the new Serenade of the Seas sounds nice too. We are in our early 50's. We enjoy fine dining and are not party people. Going to Alaska will be a strech for us - we are not ordinarily outdoor people.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to fly in and out of Vancouver (we will stay a couple of days in Vancouver).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Peggyann Aug 18th, 2003 06:09 AM

Did that cruise on the Infinity 2 yrs ago and enjoyed it. Ship is beautiful, service fine and the ports were interesting. Also stayed two nights before in Vancouver and it was great. Beautiful sail away from that city. Have fun!

LissaJ Aug 18th, 2003 06:28 AM

That is an awsome choice...I had a balcony cabin for that cruise 2 years ago, and it was awsome!!!!

JimM Aug 18th, 2003 12:58 PM

You've made a great choice IMHO. Reviews of the Serenade are excellent so you can't go wrong with that one either. FYI, the Crown & Anchor Representative on a recent RCL described the Infinity as a more elegant cruise experience. The food is excellent, especially in their alternative restaurant.

Our personal preference for Alaska is a one-way trip on Princess. We like the itinerary better...Glacier Bay and College Fjord. We also like the pre- and post-cruise options offered by Princess, especially those out of Seward or Anchorage. Ever see a sunset at 11:30 PM...air so clear you can see mountains over 200 miles away. By the way, we're retirees who are definitely not the outdoor types. But we can't get enough of Alaska.

While in Vancouver, give some thought to a ferry trip to Victoria. Butchart Gardens is a "not to be missed" experience. Another great experience is the Pacific Starlight Dinner Train out of North Vancouver. It's a fabulous 4 hour dinner trip that brings back memories of the Big Band era.

ANy questions? E-mail me at [email protected].

BudgetQueen Aug 18th, 2003 04:14 PM

You may also want to consider HAL, superior for deck space, smaller ships and fewer passengers. Supurb service and all class. Look carefully at glacier choices- Glacier Bay is my preference, time in ports. Budget for costly excursions- you get only 1/2 a trip without them. As for round trip Vancouver- they offer an excellent tour of the inside passage and if you don't have enough time for an interior tour adding several days- then I most certainly would go round trip. It is paradise- have a great time.