Argostoli, Cephalonia, Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been there? If so, what are the highlights. There is nothing in Fodor's Book about this stop. Thanks for any information.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, We are hitting Argostoli as a stop on our Black Sea cruise in October. Argostoli is the capitol of the island of Kafalonia. Most of the city was destroyed in an earthquake in the mid 1900s and rebuilt with no particular style. Most tourists, I have learned, head for nearby Sami ( a few kilometers away) where there are some resorts and a well rated beach. If you stay in Argostoli, you are best to do it on foot. There is a museum called the Archeological Museum of Kafalonia that contains finds from the Mycenaen, Hellenistic, and Roman periods. It includes coins, swords, sculptures and ceramics. On the bottom floor of the local library is a representation of a 19th century house. The library also has some old and rare manuscripts. Next to the library is the Theatre of Kefalos that is said to be beautiful and considered one of the best theatres in Greece. Waliking around you will also happen upon old churches that are lovely inside (I am not a church person). The island contains many monasteries and wine gardens. Melissani has an underground lake that, I am told, is well worth seeing. At Drogarati there are huge underground caves that often have live classical music. Hope this helps. Ty